The World Series Champion, Chicago Cubs received more hardware Friday night as MLB Awards week came to an end. The 2016 Esurance MLB Awards were announced on the MLB Network and the Cubs won five awards.
The Cubs received the second most awards of any team and the Indians took home six Esurance Awards, the two teams shared an award for Game 7.
Theo Epstein was named the Best Executive. Epstein punched his ticket to the Hall of Fame as soon as the Cubs won the NL Pennant. The Cubs winning The World Series just moved up the timeframe on when he will inducted into Cooperstown.
Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod built the Cubs from an aging, expensive, second-division team to a World Series Champion in just over five years. With support of the Ricketts family and the talent remaining from Jim Hendry and Tim Wilken, the Cubs went from a doormat in the National League to a model organization. Epstein brought the credibility with him from Boston, surrounded himself with excellent decision makers and talent evaluators and built what is now considered to be the best organization in the game.
The Cubs are The World Series Champions and Theo Epstein is deserving of all the credit he is sharing with his baseball operations staff.
Anthony Rizzo won the Esurance Award for Best Defensive Play. Rizzo climbed the wall, near his tarp, and made just an incredible catch against the Brewers with Jason Hammel on the hill.
Rizzo’s play will be seen in highlight reels for years to come. Rizzo earned the NL Gold Glove Award and Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Award. This play likely was the difference in the voting for the Platinum Glove Award.
The Cubs won Esurance Awards for Best Executive (Theo Epstein), Best Defensive Play (Anthony Rizzo), Best Social Media Personality (Anthony Rizzo), Best Social Media Post (David Ross) and Best Trending Topic (Game 7 of The World Series).
Max Scherzer (Nationals) received the Best Pitcher Award, Mike Trout (Angels) the Best Major Leaguer Award, David Ortiz (Red Sox) the Best Hitter Award and Corey Seager (Dodgers) took home the Best Rookie Award.
2016 Esurance MLB Awards Winners
- Anthony Rizzo – Best Play on Defense
- Tyler Naquin – Best Play on Offense
- Anthony Rizzo – Best Social Media Personality
- David Ross – Best Social Media Post
- Francisco Lindor – Best Defensive Player
- Corey Seager – Best Rookie
- Max Scherzer – Best Pitcher
- Dee Gordon/Marlins honor Jose Fernandez – Best Moment in Regular Season
- Rajai Davis – Best Moment in Postseason
- Game 7 of World Series – Best Trending Topic
- David Ortiz – Best Player/Fan Interaction
- Phillies Fan Catch – Best Fan Catch
- Vin Scully – Best Call on TV/Radio
- Theo Epstein – Best Executive
- Terry Francona – Best Manager
- Andrew Miller – Best Major Leaguer in Postseason
- Max Scherzer – Best Performance (20-Strikeout Game)
- David Ortiz – Best Hitter
- Mike Trout – Best Major Leaguer