Anthony Rizzo, Jake Arrieta win NL Silver Slugger Awards
Cubs’ first baseman Anthony Rizzo and pitcher Jake Arrieta were named National League Silver Slugger Award winners.
This marks the first Silver Slugger Award for a Cubs player since third baseman Aramis Ramirez won the award in 2011. The Cubs have multiple award winners for only the second time in franchise history, joining catcher Michael Barrett and first baseman Derrek Lee who were honored in 2005.
Both Rizzo and Arrieta have earned the first Silver Slugger Award of their careers. Arrieta and Rizzo are now one of only 10 players in franchise history to win a Silver Slugger.
Anthony Rizzo joins Derrek Lee as the only first basemen to win the award in franchise history, with Rizzo the first-ever Cubs left-handed hitting first baseman to do so. In fact, Rizzo is only the second left-handed hitter in franchise history to win a Silver Slugger Award, joining Leon Durham, who was honored as an outfielder in 1982.
In 2016, Rizzo batted .292 (170-for-583) with 43 doubles, 32 home runs and 109 RBI, setting or matching career highs in all four categories. Rizzo turned in a .385 on-base percentage and a .544 slugging percentage, good for a .928 OPS.
Jake Arrieta joins Carlos Zambrano (a three-time winner) as the only pitchers in franchise history to win the Silver Slugger.
In 2016, Arrieta batted .262 (17-for-65) with two doubles, a triple, two homers and seven RBI. He had a .304 on-base percentage and a .415 slugging percentage, good for a .720 OPS. Arrieta’s batting average, on-base percentage and OPS led all pitchers with at least 50 at-bats, while his slugging ranked second. He also saw more pitchers per plate appearance (4.36) than any other pitcher and was one of only four pitchers in baseball with multiple home runs.
Arrieta won the award over the Giants’ Madison Bumgarner, who was the NL Silver Slugger the previous two seasons (2014, 2015). Arrieta hit a three-run homer off Bumgarner in the NLDS.
Dexter Fowler (OF), Ben Zobrist (2B) and Kris Bryant (3B) were finalists for a Silver Slugger Award at their respective positions.
2016 Silver Slugger Awards
- Catcher – Wilson Ramos (Nationals)
- First Base – Anthony Rizzo (Cubs)
- Second Base – Daniel Murphy (Nationals)
- Third Base – Nolan Arenado (Rockies)
- Shortstop – Corey Seager (Dodgers)
- Outfield – Charlie Blackmon (Rockies)
- Outfield – Christian Yelich (Marlins)
- Outfield – Yoenis Cespedes (Mets)
- Pitcher – Jake Arrieta (Cubs)
- Catcher – Salvador Perez (Royals)
- First Base – Miguel Cabrera (Tigers)
- Second Base – Jose Altuve (Astros)
- Third Base – Josh Donaldson (Blue Jays)
- Shortstop – Xander Bogaerts (Red Sox)
- Outfield – Mark Trumbo (Orioles)
- Outfield – Mookie Betts (Red Sox)
- Outfield – Mike Trout (Angels)
- Designated Hitter – David Ortiz (Red Sox)
Anthony Rizzo has won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger Award this week for his outstanding season in the field and at the plate. Rizzo should finish in the top five for NL MVP.
Jake Arrieta was a finalist for the Gold Glove that went to Zack Greinke. Arrieta earned his first Silver Slugger Award in the regular season and came up with a big blast in the NLDS that helped the Cubs advance past the Giants.