Cubs prospect OF Charcer Burks earns Rawlings Gold Glove Award
Minor League Baseball and Rawlings Sports announced the 2016 Rawlings Gold Glove Awards for defensive excellence on Monday and Cubs’ prospect Charcer Burks took home hardware for his play in the outfield.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans outfielder Charcer Burks has been named a 2016 Rawlings Gold Glove Award recipient for defensive excellence in left field. For the third year in a row, a Myrtle Beach player has won a Gold Glove, with Burks following Hanser Alberto (shortstop, 2014) and Trey Martin (center field, 2015). Burks is the second straight Cubs prospect to win a Gold Glove.
Burks made just four errors over 124 games throughout the 2016 season. After committing a miscue in the second game of a doubleheader at Salem on June 28, Burks did not make an error during the final 54 games of the regular season. His eight outfield assists also tied for seventh in the Carolina League.
Burks had a .991 fielding percentage in 104 games in left field. Burks played 10 games in center field and finished the season a combined .983 fielding percentage.
A ninth-round pick by the Chicago Cubs out of William B. Travis High School (Richmond, Texas) in 2013, Charcer Burks batted .247/.356/.407 with 28 doubles, five triples and a career-high 11 home runs for a .763 OPS. Burks had 43 RBI and scored 71 runs in 124 games. Including the postseason, the 21-year-old reached in 66 of his final 70 games, hitting .268/.369/.418 with 16 doubles, three triples, seven home runs and 31 RBI during that span.
Like the other eight recipients of the Gold Glove, Burks will receive his award, modeled after the iconic award given to Major League Baseball’s top defensive players, during the 2017 season.
The 2016 Minor League Baseball recipients of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award are as follows:
- 1B – Matt Skole – Triple-A Syracuse (Washington Nationals)
- 2B – Joey DeMichele – Double-A Birmingham (Chicago White Sox)
- SS – Zach Vincej – Double-A Pensacola (Cincinnati Reds)
- 3B – Carlos Rivero –Triple-A Reno (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- LF – Charcer Burks – High-A Myrtle Beach (Chicago Cubs)
- CF – Greg Allen – High-A Lynchburg, Double-A Akron (Cleveland Indians)
- RF – Mike Gerber – High-A Lakeland, Double-A Erie (Detroit Tigers)
- C – Jose Trevino – High-A High Desert (Texas Rangers)
- P – James Naile – Low-A Beloit, High-A Stockton, Double-A Midland, Triple-A Nashville (Oakland A’s)
To be eligible to receive the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, players must have participated in one of the 10 domestic-based, full-season leagues, and shown outstanding defensive skills. The Rawlings Gold Glove Award was re-introduced to Minor League Baseball in 2011 after an almost 50-year hiatus.