Cubs Top Prospect Watch
It was a good week Down on the Farm for a majority of the Cubs top prospects. Things remained rather quiet without any changes made to the Watch this past week, as the minors are set for their last full week of play.
Dylan Cease and D.J. Wilson were still burning it up for the Eugene Emeralds, but Ian Happ and Chesny Young had a rough week.
And today’s wild card is a real favorite of the CCO readers.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared this season, or since their promotions:
- Dylan Cease (RHP) – 1-0 in 10 starts with a 2.86 ERA, 1.298 WHIP, 24 hits, 11 earned runs, 21 walks, and 48 strikeouts in 34.2 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Oscar De La Cruz (RHP) – 1-1 in five starts with a 2.78 ERA, 1.059 WHIP, 18 hits, seven earned runs, six walks, and 32 strikeouts in 22.2 innings. (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .253/.314/.379/.692, 12 doubles, five home runs, 19 walks, 52 strikeouts, 217 at bats, 24 RBI, five stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Bryan Hudson (LHP) – 4-4 in 12 starts with a 5.53 ERA, 1. 752 WHIP, 54 hits, 33 earned runs, 40 walks, and 34 strikeouts in 53.2 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .331/.371/.536/.907, 40 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs, 25 walks, 94 strikeouts, 437 at bats, 81 RBI, eight stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .261/.337/.392/.729, 24 doubles, two triples, 10 home runs, 48 walks, 109 strikeouts, 441 at bats, 67 RBI, seven stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Jen-Ho Tseng (RHP) – 6-7 in 21 starts with a 3.90 ERA, 1.459 WHIP, 127 hits, 60 earned runs, 31 walks, and 66 strikeouts in 108.1 innings. (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Duane Underwood Jr. (RHP) – 0-1 in three starts with a 2.08 ERA, 1.039 WHIP, five hits, two earned runs, four walks, and 12 strikeouts in 8.2 innings. (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- D.J. Wilson (OF) – .266/.336/.397/.733, 15 doubles, two triples, three home runs, 20 walks, 50 strikeouts, 214 at bats, 28 RBI, 19 stolen bases (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Chesny Young (INF) – .293/.371/.377/.748, 23 doubles, two triples, four home runs, 57 walks, 64 strikeouts, 461 at bats, 33 RBI, 15 stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
All statistics are as of end of play Monday, Aug. 29.
Our reader’s nominated a fan favorite in Eugene Emeralds’ pitcher Erling Moreno. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Erling Moreno (RHP) – 2-0 in five starts with a 0.72 ERA, 0.680 WHIP, 14 hits, two earned runs, three walks, and 18 strikeouts in 25.0 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week. This will be the last week to nominate a player.