Cubs Top Prospect Watch
After a busy week, the Watch remained stable over the next seven days. But that does not mean the performances were stagnant as Eloy Jimenez and D.J. Wilson were among the hottest players in minor league baseball. Jimenez batted .441 with two homers and 12 RBI in his last 10 games, while Wilson went .486 with a home run and seven RBI over the same span.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared this season, or since their recent promotions:
- Miguel Amaya (C) – .256/.343/.346/.689, 11 doubles, a home run, 13 walks, 19 strikeouts, 156 at bats, 17 RBI, five stolen bases (Dominican Summer League Cubs-2)
- Dylan Cease (RHP) – 1-0 in six starts with a 3.68 ERA, 1.409 WHIP, 19 hits, nine earned runs, 12 walks, and 24 strikeouts in 22 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Oscar De La Cruz (RHP) – 0-0 in one start with a 0.00 ERA, 0.644 WHIP, two hits, no earned runs, a walk, and seven strikeouts in 4.2 innings. (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .284/.315/.403/.718, 10 doubles, two home runs, six walks, 27 strikeouts, 134 at bats, 15 RBI, three stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Bryan Hudson (LHP) – 2-3 in eight starts with a 4.37 ERA, 1.657 WHIP, 32 hits, 10 earned runs, 26 walks, and 18 strikeouts in 35 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .342/.379/.548/.926, 35 doubles, two triples, 12 home runs, 22 walks, 83 strikeouts, 365 at bats, 72 RBI, six stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .272/.351/.415/.765, 20 doubles, two triples, nine home runs, 42 walks, 87 strikeouts, 357 at bats, 59 RBI, six stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Jen-Ho Tseng (RHP) – 5-4 in 16 starts with a 3.06 ERA, 1.312 WHIP, 84 hits, 28 earned runs, 24 walks, and 51 strikeouts in 82.1 innings. (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- D.J. Wilson (OF) – .243/.333/.346/.679, six doubles, a triple, two home runs, 17 walks, 34 strikeouts, 136 at bats, 17 RBI, nine stolen bases (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Mark Zagunis (OF) – .274/.360/.486/.846, 12 doubles, four triples, six home runs, 22 walks, 42 strikeouts, 179 at bats, 25 RBI, four stolen bases (Triple-A Iowa Cubs)
All statistics are as of end of play Monday, Aug. 1
The player nominated this week by the readers was South Bend infielder Carlos Sepulveda. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Carlos Sepulveda (INF) – .320/.374/.389/.763, 10 doubles, two triples, a home run, 19 walks, 29 strikeouts, 244 at bats, 20 RBI, three stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week.