Game Eighty-One: Cubs (51-29) vs. Mets (43-37)
- Game Time – 12:10pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: WGN-TV, MLB Network – Radio: WSCR 670 The Score, Cubs Radio Network, XM Radio Channels 89, 844
- Location – Citi Field, New York
Jon Lester, LHP (9-3, 2.03/0.96/3.33) vs. Noah Syndergaard, RHP (8-3, 2.49/1.06/1.91)
Jon Lester looks to snap the Cubs’ three-game skid this afternoon and end the difficult three-city, 11-game road trip with a win at Citi Field. The Cubs are 4-6 in the first 10 games and a victory today would be a positive end to what’s been a rough week and a half on the road.
The Cubs have helped the Mets in every way possible throughout the series. And in order to salvage the finale of the four-game series, the Cubs will have to play mistake free ball while Jon Lester keeps the Mets off the scoreboard.
Joe Maddon will be limited with what he can do with his lineup today. Unfortunately the lack of options will play right into Noah Syndergaard’s strength. With Lester on the hill, David Ross will be behind the plate and Javier Baez should be at third. Anthony Rizzo and Jason Heyward will likely be the only left-handed bats, along with the switch-hitting Ben Zobrist, in the starting lineup. Left-handers have a .709 OPS against Syndergaard with a .288/.321/.388 line. Right-handers have a miniscule .515 OPS and have hit just .202/.230/.285 against Noah Syndergaard this season.
Today all starts with Jon Lester …
Jon Lester received a no decision in his last start. Lester gave up one run, a homer to Billy Hamilton, in 7 2/3 innings to the Reds. But the Cubs could not hold the lead and the game ended up being one of the most memorable in franchise history.
What will be referred to as ‘The Joe Maddon Game’ in the history books, the Cubs won the game 7-2. Lester played a big role with 7 2/3 innings on the hill and a RBI at the plate.
Lester is 4-0 in his last six starts (Cubs 5-1) with a 1.41 ERA and 0.78 WHIP. Lester is 5-1 in eight road starts this season with a 1.73 ERA and 0.96 WHIP. And he makes the fourth regular season start of his career against the Mets today.
Jon Lester is 2-0 in three starts versus the Mets with a 2.50 ERA and 1.33 WHIP … at Citi Field, Lester as a no decision in his only start with a 0.00 ERA and 0.86 WHIP. Lester tossed seven innings of five-hit shutout ball almost exactly a year ago (July 1).
Mets Career Numbers against Jon Lester
- Curtis Granderson: 13-for-47 with two doubles, one triple, two home runs and three walks
- Asdrubal Cabrera: 7-for-27 with two doubles and one walk
- Yoenis Cespedes: 2-for-16 with two walks
- James Loney: 4-for-15 with one double and two walks
- Kelly Johnson: 1-for-15 with two walks
- Alejandro De Aza: 4-for-14 with four doubles and one walk
- Wilmer Flores: 2-for-8 with one home run and one walk
- Neil Walker: 2-for-8
- Travis d’Arnaud: 2-for-3 with one home run
Noah Syndergaard is dealing with bone spurs in his right elbow. Syndergaard did not want the media to know the details before he ended up addressing the injury. Syndergaard is reportedly dealing with less pain than Steven Matz.
Syndergaard is coming off a horrible outing. Syndergaard allowed five runs on seven hits with three walks and five strikeouts in three innings … by far his worst start of the season.
‘Thor’ has pretty much been lights out for Terry Collins this season but due to his last start, Syndergaard is 3-1 in five starts with a 3.86 ERA and 1.29 WHIP. In his home park, Syndergaard is 4-1 in nine games, eight starts, with a 2.12 ERA and 0.94 WHIP. And ‘Thor’ makes his second regular season start against the Cubs tonight.
Noah Syndergaard made his big league debut against the Cubs on May 12, 2015 at Wrigley. Syndergaard allowed three earned runs on six hits with four walks and six strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
Cubs Career Numbers against Noah Syndergaard
- Kris Bryant: 4-for-6 with one double and one triple
- Chris Coghlan: 1-for-4 with one home run and one walk
- Miguel Montero: 0-for-4 with one walk
- Anthony Rizzo: 0-for-3 with two walks
- Jason Heyward: 2-for-3 with one triple
- Ben Zobrist: 1-for-3 with one double
- Addison Russell: 0-for-2
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …