Cubs Top Prospect Watch
The Cubs traded top prospects Gleyber Torres and Billy McKinney to the Yankees in the Chapman deal. And LHP Carson Sands landed on the disabled list.
Catcher Miguel Amaya, pitcher Oscar De La Cruz and outfielder Mark Zagunis take the spots on the Top Prospect Watch previously occupied by Torres, McKinney and Sands.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared this season, or since their recent promotions:
- Miguel Amaya (C) – .273/.360/.364/.723, 10 doubles, a home run, 13 walks, 17 strikeouts, 143 at bats, 17 RBI, five stolen bases (Dominican Summer League Cubs-2)
- Dylan Cease (RHP) – 1-0 in five starts with a 3.32 ERA, 1.247 WHIP, 19 hits, eight earned runs, eight walks, and 23 strikeouts in 21.2 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Oscar De La Cruz (RHP) – 0-0 in two starts with a 1.08 ERA, 0.840 WHIP, five hits, one earned run, two walks, and 14 strikeouts in 8.1 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .292/.330/.415/.746, seven doubles, two home runs, six walks, 20 strikeouts, 106 at bats, 11 RBI, three stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Bryan Hudson (LHP) – 1-3 in six starts with a 3.51 ERA, 1.520 WHIP, 158 hits, 10 earned runs, 21 walks, and 13 strikeouts in 25.2 innings. (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .330/.370/.522/.892, 30 doubles, a triple, 11 home runs, 22 walks, 78 strikeouts, 339 at bats, 64 RBI, six stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .263/.343/.416/.759, 20 doubles, two triples, nine home runs, 39 walks, 81 strikeouts, 334 at bats, 57 RBI, six stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Jen-Ho Tseng (RHP) – 5-3 in 14 starts with a 3.03 ERA, 1.303 WHIP, 71 hits, 24 earned runs, 22 walks, and 45 strikeouts in 71.1 innings. (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- D.J. Wilson (OF) – .195/.299/.283/.582, five doubles, a triple, a home run, 16 walks, 32 strikeouts, 113 at bats, 14 RBI, nine stolen bases (Short Season-A Eugene Emeralds)
- Mark Zagunis (OF) – .280/.357/.488/.845, 12 doubles, four triples, five home runs, 20 walks, 39 strikeouts, 168 at bats, 24 RBI, four stolen bases (Triple-A Iowa Cubs)
All statistics are of end of play Monday, July 25
There only nominated player that has not been traded, placed on the disabled list, or is already on the Watch was pitcher Preston Morrison. However, for the stats as the “wild card” prospect, these are Morrison’s numbers from the South Bend Cubs, as he was promoted to Myrtle Beach just yesterday. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Preston Morrison (RHP) – 9-4 with one save in 17 appearances (16 starts) with a 2.24 ERA, 1.169 WHIP, 85 hits, 23 earned runs, 23 walks, and 85 strikeouts in 92.1 innings. (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week.