Cubs Top Prospect Watch
There were no changes to this week’s Watch with rosters settling in for the holiday weekend. Eddy Julio Martinez has shown progress and Ian Happ is still on fire for the Tennessee Smokies.
Cubs’ top prospect, 19-year old Gleyber Torres is making progress for High-A Myrtle Beach. His totals for the season look rather average but he’s shown steady improvement as he continues his development as one of the youngest players in the Carolina League. Torres started figuring things out in May, the league adjusted and he’s adjusted back.
Over his last 12 games, Torres is 14-for-46 with two doubles, four walks and nine strikeouts. Torres has a .304/.385/.348 slash line with a .732 OPS.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared this season, or since their recent promotions:
- Dylan Cease (RHP) – 0-0 in three starts with a 3.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, eight hits, four earned runs, four walks, 12 strikeouts in 12 innings (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .432/.465/.676/1.141, three doubles, two home runs, three walks, five strikeouts, 37 at-bats, eight RBI, three stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Bryan Hudson (LHP) – 1-0 in three starts with a 1.29 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, five hits, two earned runs, 10 walks, seven strikeouts in 14 innings (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .328/.366/.524/.890, 26 doubles, a triple, 10 home runs, 18 walks, 72 strikeouts, 296 at-bats, 56 RBI, six stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .244/.313/.371/.683, 14 doubles, seven home runs, 26 walks, 67 strikeouts, 275 at-bats, 39 RBI, five stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Billy McKinney (OF) – .258/.361/.327/.687, 10 doubles, two triples, a home run, 39 walks, 56 strikeouts, 248 at-bats, 27 RBI, two stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Carson Sands (LHP) – 6-2 in 12 starts with a 3.72 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 51 hits, 24 earned runs, 28 walks, 35 strikeouts in 58 innings (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Gleyber Torres (SS) – .260/.342/.409/.751, 16 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 34 walks, 73 strikeouts, 296 at-bats, 29 RBI, 12 stolen bases (High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Duane Underwood Jr. (RHP) – 0-5 in 12 starts with a 4.85 ERA, 1.65 WHIP, 64 hits, 30 earned runs, 28 walks, 44 strikeouts in 55.2 innings (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- D.J. Wilson (OF) – .180/.315/.262/.577, one triple, one home run, 11 walks, 17 strikeouts, 61 at-bats, seven stolen bases (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
All statistics are of end of play Monday, July 4
With no consensus among the CCO’s readers this week, Tom U. chose to nominate Dominican League outfielder Abraham Rodriguez as the “wild card” prospect. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Abraham Rodriguez (OF) – .358/.400/.531/.931, five doubles, three triples, one triple, four walks, 13 strikeouts, 81 at-bats, five stolen bases (DSL-2 Cubs)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week.