Left-handed pitcher Jose Paulino earns Northwest League Pitcher of the Week Award
LHP Jose Paulino was named Northwest League Pitcher of the Week after putting together an outstanding outing for Short-Season Class-A Eugene Emeralds. Paulino pitched six innings of shutout ball and allowed just one hit with one walk and four strikeouts.
Jose Paulino, 21, has put up impressive numbers over his first four starts of the season.
Paulino is 2-0 with a 0.41 ERA and 0.64 WHIP. In 22 innings, the lefty has allowed two runs, one earned, on 12 hits with two walks and 22 strikeouts. Teams have hit .158 against him this year.
Paulino returned to the Eugene Emeralds for a second stint in Short-Season ball after struggling last season. Paulino was 4-6 in 12 games, six starts, with a 5.40 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. In 55 innings, Paulino allowed 33 runs, 27 earned, on 59 hits with 21 walks and 57 strikeouts.
Emeralds’ pitching coach Brian Lawrence recently told MiLB.com that the biggest difference in Paulino between this year and last season is that he’s matured as a person. Lawrence has seen an improved work ethic and understanding of how to pitch.
Cubs Minor League Players of the Week – 2016
- OF Bijan Rademacher – Southern League (April 7-17)
- INF Chesny Young – Southern League (April 18-24)
- RHP Paul Blackburn – Southern League (April 18-24)
- 2B Ian Happ – Carolina League (April 18-24)
- 1B Dan Vogelbach – Pacific Coast League (May 9-15)
- INF Jason Vosler – Carolina League (May 9-15)
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert – Carolina League (May 16-22)
- C Ian Rice – Midwest League (May 23-29)
- RHP Jake Buchanan – Pacific Coast League (May 30-June 5)
- 2B/OF Ian Happ – Carolina League (June 13-19)
- SS/2B Andruw Monasterio – Northwest League (June 20-26)
- LHP Jose Paulino – Northwest League (July 4-10)