Kris Bryant etched his name in the history books Monday night with an incredible display of power and hustle. Bryant led the Cubs to an 11-8 victory over the Reds with a 5-for-5 night at the plate.
Kris Bryant hit three home runs, two ended up in the upper deck at Great American Ball Park. Bryant doubled twice, the second was a hustle double leading off the sixth inning. Bryant drove in six of the 11 runs and scored four times.
Kris Bryant set franchise and MLB records on Monday night.
• Bryant is the first player in Major League history with three home runs and two doubles in the same game. Since 1900, there have been 39,188 games in which a player hit two doubles and 558 games in which a player hit three home runs. Bryant is the only player to hit three home runs and two doubles in a single game.
• Bryant is the youngest Cubs player to hit three home runs in the same game. Bryant is 10 days younger than Ernie Banks was he hit three home runs in a single game in 1955.
• Bryant is the sixth player in Cubs history to have five multi-homer games before his 25th birthday.
• Bryant set the Cubs record for total bases (16) in a single game. The Cubs record for total bases in a single game was 14, which was accomplished four times.
• Bryant became the first Cubs’ player in the Modern era (since 1900) to have five extra basehits in a single game. Bryant is the second player in franchise history to record five extra basehits in a single game. George Gore had three double and two triples on July 9, 1885.
Krist Bryant played three different positions Monday night. Bryant started at third base, moved to right field and finished the game in left field. Bryant is the only player in the last 100 years to hit three home runs and play three different positions in the same game.
According to multiple reports, Bryant gave a bat to a young Cubs fan after the game because it was his birthday and was not able to give him an autograph before the game. Bryant did not give him The Bat according to ESPN Chicago.
Kris Bryant is now hitting .278/.367/.567 with 19 doubles and 21 home runs for a .934 OPS. Bryant has 57 RBI and has scored 59 runs in 73 games.
What an unforgettable and historic night for Kris Bryant.