Game Seventy: Cubs (47-22) vs. Cardinals (37-33)
- Game Time – 1:20pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: ABC-7 – Radio: WSCR 670 The Score, Cubs Radio Network, XM Radio Channels 185, 844
- Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Jake Arrieta, RHP (11-1, 1.74/0.94/2.46) vs. Michael Wacha, RHP (2-7, 4.56/1.40/3.50)
Weather permitting … Its game three of round three of the Cubs-Cardinals series. And the Cubs turn to Jake Arrieta in the finale of the series.
The Cubs begin play today 10 ½ games ahead of the Cardinals, which is a nice lead in late-June. But this is the Cardinals and avoiding the second three-game losing streak of the season is a must today for the Cubs.
Jake Arrieta has struggled against the Cardinals. The Cubs need Arrieta to be at the top of his game this afternoon. The Cubs have not done much against Cardinals pitching in the first two games of the series. While Michael Wacha’s numbers do not look good, he’s started to turn things around. The Cubs must not allow him to get comfortable on the mound today.
The Cubs hit the road for an 11-game, three-city trip after today’s game. And a 4-2 homestand will make for a happier flight to Miami than the alternative.
Being swept at Wrigley by the Cardinals would be unacceptable, no matter what month it is. Look for Joe Maddon to push all the buttons he can to put the players in position to win the game.
Today all starts with Jake Arrieta …
Jake Arrieta did what he does against the Pirates the last time out. Arrieta pitched six innings of shutout all and struck out 11 while walking three and giving up two hits. Arrieta has pitched well in each of his last two starts (Braves, Pirates).
Arrieta is 2-1 in his last three starts with a 2.50 ERA and 1.17 WHIP. And at Wrigley this season, Arrieta is 4-1 in seven starts with a 1.64 ERA and 1.11 WHIP.
Today is the second time Arrieta will take on the Cardinals this season. Arrieta beat the Cardinals in St. Louis back on May 25. Arrieta was not good and had to really work for five innings. Arrieta gave up four runs on seven hits with a walk and four strikeouts.
For his career, Arrieta is 5-1 in 10 starts against the Cardinals with a 2.09 ERA and 1.09 WHIP.
Cardinals Career Numbers against Jake Arrieta
- Jhonny Peralta: 7-for-30 with four doubles and two walks
- Kolten Wong: 6-for-26 with one double
- Matt Carpenter: 1-for-9 with five walks
- Yadier Molina: 3-for-19 with one walk
- Matt Adams: 6-for-18 with two doubles and two walks
- Tommy Pham: 1-for-5 with one walk
- Stephen Piscotty: 1-for-4 with two walks
- Brandon Moss: 0-for-2 with one walk
- Michael Wacha: 0-for-4
- Aledmys Diaz: 1-for-3
- Greg Garcia: 0-for-2
Like Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha has pitched a lot better of late and he will try to build on his last outing, a game the Cardinals lost to the Rangers 1-0. Wacha allowed one run on six hits with two walks and seven strikeouts in 7 2/3 innings.
After posting a 0-5 record in six starts in May with a 6.75 ERA and 1.66 WHIP, Wacha is 0-1 in his last three starts with a 3.20 ERA and 1.12 WHIP.
Michael Wacha is 3-4 in 10 games, nine starts, against the Cubs in his career with a 5.90 ERA and 1.51 WHIP The Cubs beat Wacha on May 24 by a final of 12-3.
Cubs Career Numbers against Michael Wacha
- Anthony Rizzo: 11-for-27 with two doubles and one walk
- Miguel Montero: 2-for-16 with one double and two walks
- Kris Bryant: 7-for-16 with one double, one triple, two home runs and one walk
- Addison Russell: 1-for-9 with one triple and one walk
- Chris Coghlan: 1-for-8 with one double and one walk
- David Ross: 1-for-4 with one double and two walks
- Ben Zobrist: 2-for-5 with one double and one walk
- Javier Baez: 2-fror-5 with two doubles
- Jake Arrieta: 0-for-4
- Jason Heyward: 0-for-3
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …