Cubs Top Prospect Watch
Changes came to this week’s Watch, as we swapped our Wilson’s. With Willson Contreras now in the big leagues, outfielder D.J. Wilson takes his place in the Top Prospect Watch.
And a recent promotion now places Ian Happ with the Tennessee Smokies. Happ is on fire at the plate and had another big night Monday.
With Dan Vogelbach hitting home runs in three straight games and having a big night in the I-Cubs doubleheader, a little bonus for our readers. Vogelbach is hitting .313/.428/.565 with 15 doubles, a triple and 15 home runs for a .993 OPS. Vogelbach has 47 walks with 59 strikeouts in 246 at-bats.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared this season, or since their recent promotions:
- Dylan Cease (RHP) – 0-0 in two starts with a 2.25 ERA, 0.75 WHIP, five hits, two earned runs, one walk, nine strikeouts in eight innings (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .733/.706/1.267/1.973, two doubles, two home runs, one walk, one strikeout, 15 at-bats, six RBI, zero stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Bryan Hudson (LHP) – 1-0 in two starts with a 0.90 ERA, 0.60 WHIP, three hits, one earned run, three walks, six strikeouts in 10 innings (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .342/.380/.551/.932, 25 doubles, a triple, 10 home runs, 17 walks, 64 strikeouts, 272 at-bats, 54 RBI, five stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .237/.313/.357/.670, 12 doubles, six home runs, 26 walks, 59 strikeouts, 249 at-bats, 33 RBI, five stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Billy McKinney (OF) – .264/.365/.339/.704, 10 doubles, a triple, a home run, 35 walks, 50 strikeouts, 227 at-bats, 26 RBI, a stolen base (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Carson Sands (LHP) – 5-1 in 10 starts with a 3.72 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 40 hits, 20 earned runs, 26 walks, 30 strikeouts in 48.1 innings (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Gleyber Torres (SS) – .257/.339/.419/.758, 15 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 32 walks, 66 strikeouts, 265 at-bats, 25 RBI, 11 stolen bases (High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Duane Underwood Jr. (RHP) – 0-5 in 11 starts with a 5.44 ERA, 1.75 WHIP, 60 hits, 30 earned runs, 27 walks, 42 strikeouts in 54.2 innings (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- D.J. Wilson (OF) – .194/.341/.194/.535, seven walks, 12 strikeouts, 36 at-bats, five stolen bases (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
All statistics are of end of play Monday, June 27
The CCO’s readers chose to nominate Tennessee pitcher Brad Markey as their “wild card” prospect. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Brad Markey (RHP) – 6-3 in 15 games, 13 starts with a 2.34 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 72 hits, 20 earned runs, 28 walks, 32 strikeouts in 77 innings (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect watch next week.