Cubs Top Prospect Watch
With Short-Season Class-A Eugene Emeralds opening on Friday night, The Top Prospect Watch changes once more as RHP Dylan Cease and LHP Bryan Hudson replace INF/OF Chesny Young and OF Mark Zagunis on this week’s watch.
This week’s watch includes catcher Willson Contreras since he finished this stint at the Triple-A level with a 20-game hitting streak. Counting what he’s done in the majors, Contreras is riding a 22-game hitting streak.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared this season:
- Dylan Cease (RHP) – 0-0 in one start with a 2.25 ERA, 0.750 WHIP, two hits, one earned run, one walk, two strikeouts in four innings (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
- Willson Contreras (C) – .350/.439/.591/1.1030, 16 doubles, three triples, nine home runs, 28 walks, 32 strikeouts, 203 at-bats, 43 RBI, four stolen bases (Triple-A Iowa Cubs)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .296/.410/.475/.885, 16 doubles, three triples, seven home runs, 48 walks, 69 strikeouts, 240 at-bats, 42 RBI, 10 stolen bases (High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Bryan Hudson (LHP) – 0-0 in one start with a 1.80 ERA, 0.600 WHIP, two hits, one earned run, one walk, two strikeouts in five innings (Short-Season Eugene Emeralds)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .341/.379/.535/.914, 24 doubles, a triple, eight home runs, 16 walks, 62 strikeouts, 238 at-bats, 45 RBI, four stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .240/.315/.365/.680, 11 doubles, six home runs, 24 walks, 56 strikeouts, 233 at-bats, 32 RBI, five stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Billy McKinney (OF) – .256/.354/.322/.676, nine doubles, a triple, a home run, 31 walks, 48 strikeouts, 211 at-bats, 20 RBI, a stolen base (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Carson Sands (LHP) – 5-1 in 10 starts with a 3.72 ERA, 1.365 WHIP, 40 hits, 20 earned runs, 26 walks, 30 strikeouts in 48.1 innings (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Gleyber Torres (SS) – .252/.335/.420/.755, 14 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 30 walks, 64 strikeouts, 250 at-bats, 24 RBI, 11 stolen bases (High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Duane Underwood Jr. (RHP) – 0-4 in 10 starts with a 5.12 ERA, 1.73 WHIP, 55 hits, 26 earned runs, 24 walks, 40 strikeouts in 45.2 innings (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
All statistics are of end of play Monday, June 20
The CCO’s readers chose to nominate Tennessee pitcher Paul Blackburn as their “wild card” prospect. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Paul Blackburn (RHP) – 4–2 in 13 starts with a 2.53 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 66 hits, 22 earned runs, 19 walks, 48 strikeouts in 78.1 innings (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week.