Cubs Top Prospect Watch
The Top Prospect Watch saw several of the players down on the farm improve on their numbers for the season. Not only has Willson Contreras stayed hot at the plate, Eloy Jimenez just keeps smacking the baseball around Midwest League parks.
Billy McKinney seems to be back on track. And Mark Zagunis received a promotion to Triple-A Iowa. This week’s wild cards, one is a back stop and the other took over the team lead for home runs in Iowa.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared through the two weeks in June:
- Willson Contreras (C) – .351/.443/.598/1.041, 15 doubles, three triples, nine home runs, 28 walks, 32 strikeouts, 194 at-bats, 41 RBI, four stolen bases (Triple-A Iowa Cubs)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .270/.392/.419/.811, 10 doubles, two triples, six home runs, 45 walks, 65 strikeouts, 215 at-bats, 36 RBI and 10 stolen bases (High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .321/.361/.517/.878, 20 doubles, a triple, eight home runs, 15 walks, 59 strikeouts, 234 at-bats, 41 RBI and four stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .242/.318/.374/.692, 10 doubles, six home runs, 22 walks, 51 strikeouts, 211 at-bats, 32 RBI and five stolen bases (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Billy McKinney (OF) – .254/.354/.321/.675, eight doubles, a triple, a home run, 29 walks, 47 strikeouts, 193 at-bats, 17 RBI and a stolen base (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Carson Sands (LHP) – 5-1 in 10 starts with a 3.72 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 40 hits, 20 earned runs, 26 walks, 30 strikeouts in 48.1 innings (Low-A South Bend Cubs)
- Gleyber Torres (SS) – .247/.332/.419/.751, 14 doubles, two triples, seven home runs, 28 walks, 59 strikeouts, 227 at-bats, 23 RBI and 11 stolen bases (High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Duane Underwood Jr. (RHP) – 0-4 in nine starts with a 5.40 ERA, 1.75 WHIP, 52 hits, 26 runs, 25 earned runs, 22 walks, 37 strikeouts in 41.2 innings (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Chesny Young (INF/OF) – .288/.379/.356/.735, eight doubles, a triple, two home runs, 33 walks, 31 strikeouts, 236 at-bats, 13 RBI and 14 stolen bases (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
- Mark Zagunis (OF) – .294/.368/.412/.780, a triple, two walks, five strikeouts, 17 at-bats and two RBI (Iowa Cubs)
All statistics are of end of play Monday, June 13.
The CCO’s readers continues to show that they are among the most informed fans, as once again they tied in nominations with Iowa first baseman Dan Vogelbach along with Tennessee catcher Victor Caratini as their “wild card” prospects. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Dan Vogelbach (1B) – .313/.430/.533/.963, 11 doubles, a triple, 10 home runs, 38 walks, 53 strikeouts, 195 at-bats and 42 RBI (Triple-A Iowa Cubs)
- Victor Caratini (C) – .298/.393/.394/.786, 13 doubles, a triple, a home run, 30 walks, 37 strikeouts, 188 at-bats and 20 RBI (Double-A Tennessee Smokies)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week.