Cubs Top Prospect Watch
The Top Prospect Watch remains unchanged for this week. Willson Contreras, Eloy Jimenez and several of the Cubs best young players have been in the headlines. And in Myrtle Beach, Gleyber Torres has reached base at a 50-percent clip over the last five games.
- Willson Contreras (C) – .343/.426/.590/1.026, 13 doubles, two triples, nine home runs, 39 RBI, four stolen bases (Iowa Cubs)
- Ian Happ (2B/OF) – .273/.388/.429/.818, nine doubles, two triples, six home runs, 35 RBI, nine stolen bases (Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .316/.356/.512/.868, 15 doubles, a triple, eight home runs, 36 RBI, four stolen bases (South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .218/.292/.356/.648, eight doubles, six home runs, 28 RBI, five stolen bases (South Bend Cubs)
- Billy McKinney (OF) – .250/.348/.314/.662, six doubles, a triple, a home run, 17 RBI, a stolen base (Tennessee Smokies)
- Carson Sands (LHP) – 5-0, 46.1 innings, 3.30 ERA, 17 earned runs, 28 strikeouts, 1.295 WHIP (South Bend Cubs)
- Gleyber Torres (SS) – .261/.342/.438/.781, 14 doubles, two triples, six home runs, 21 RBI, 10 stolen bases (Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Duane Underwood Jr. (RHP) – 0-3, 35.2 innings, 5.30 ERA, 21 earned runs, 31 strikeouts, 1.739 WHIP (Tennessee Smokies)
- Chesny Young (INF/OF) – .299/.392/.365/.757, six doubles, a triple, two home runs, 13 RBI, 14 stolen bases (Tennessee Smokies)
- Mark Zagunis (OF) – .301/.406/.455/.860, 13 doubles, a triple, four home runs, 24 RBI, a stolen base (Tennessee Smokies)
All statistics are of end of play Monday, June 6.
The CCO’s readers are showing that they are among the most informed fans, as once again they tied in nominations with Iowa pitcher Gerardo Concepcion along with South Bend catcher Ian Rice as their “wild card” prospects. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Gerardo Concepcion (LHP) – 1–0, 11.2 innings, 2.31 ERA, three earned, 12 strikeouts, 1.372 WHIP (Iowa Cubs)
- Ian Rice (C) – .372/.480/.641/1.121, six doubles, five home runs, 20 RBI (South Bend Cubs)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect Watch next week.