Catcher Ian Rice named Midwest League Player of the Week
For the second time in as many weeks a South Bend Cubs’ player earned a weekly honor. Catcher Ian Rice was named Midwest League Player of the Week (May 23-29) on Tuesday.
Ian Rice is having an excellent season for Low-A South Bend. Last week, Rice went 8-for-17 with three doubles, three home runs, four walks and a strikeout in 21 plate appearances. Rice drove in eight runs and scored six. Rice batted .471 with a .550 OBP.
Rice had three hits that included two home runs and drove in five on May 28.
In 19 games this season, Ian Rice is hitting .368/.486/.614 with five doubles and three home runs for a 1.101 OPS. Rice has 15 walks and 13 strikeouts in 57 at bats. Rice spent from April 21 through May 6 on the disabled list.
The Cubs selected Ian Rice in the 29th round of last June’s Draft.
Cubs Minor League Players of the Week – 2016
- OF Bijan Rademacher – Southern League (April 7-17)
- INF Chesny Young – Southern League (April 18-24)
- RHP Paul Blackburn – Southern League (April 18-24)
- 2B Ian Happ – Carolina League (April 18-24)
- 1B Dan Vogelbach – Pacific Coast League (May 9-15)
- INF Jason Vosler – Carolina League (May 9-15)
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert – Carolina League (May 16-22)
- C Ian Rice – Midwest League (May 23-29)