Short-Season Class-A Eugene Emeralds’ shortstop Andruw Monasterio named Northwest League Offensive Player of the Week
Minor League Baseball announced Monday its players and pitchers of the week (June 20-26). And one of the youngest prospects in the Cubs’ system took home a player of the week award. Andruw Monasterio was named Northwest League Offensive Player of the Week.
SS/2B Andruw Monasterio has gotten off to an excellent start with Short-Season Class-A Eugene. Monasterio batted .400 over seven games and had three extra base hits last week. Monasterio was 12-for-30 with a double, a triple and a home run (.400/.400/.600) with a 1.000 OPS. In seven games, Monasterio scored and drove in eight runs.
Monasterio is part of a very exciting Emeralds’ roster that includes several of the organization’s top prospects.
Monasterio just turned 19 years old (May 30). The switch-hitting infielder is 18-for-48 in his first 11 games this season with four extra basehits. Monasterio is batting .375/.400/.521 with two doubles, a triple and a home run for a .921 OPS. Monasterio has 25 total bases and he’s walked two times on the season with 13 strikeouts.
Andruw Monasterio is tied for fourth in the Northwest League in batting average (.375), seventh in slugging percentage (.521) and OPS (.921). And he leads the Northwest League in total bases (25).
Cubs Minor League Players of the Week – 2016
- OF Bijan Rademacher – Southern League (April 7-17)
- INF Chesny Young – Southern League (April 18-24)
- RHP Paul Blackburn – Southern League (April 18-24)
- 2B Ian Happ – Carolina League (April 18-24)
- 1B Dan Vogelbach – Pacific Coast League (May 9-15)
- INF Jason Vosler – Carolina League (May 9-15)
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert – Carolina League (May 16-22)
- C Ian Rice – Midwest League (May 23-29)
- RHP Jake Buchanan – Pacific Coast League (May 30-June 5)
- 2B/OF Ian Happ – Carolina League (June 13-19)
- SS/2B Andruw Monasterio – Northwest League (June 20-26)