Cubs 2016 First-Year Player Draft – Day Two
Day One of the First-Year Player Draft is in the books and the Phillies made OF Mickey Moniak the No. 1 pick. Jason McLeod had to sit out the first two rounds, so the draft for the Cubs begins today at 11:30am CDT.
The Cubs first pick in the 2016 Draft is No. 104 in the third round.
The second day does not have the same volume of coverage as day one. But there is actually more information and teams can land very good players in rounds 3-10.
The Cubs signing bonus pool for the first 10 rounds of this year’s draft is $2,245,100 million, the assigned slot values are listed below. Jason McLeod has the lowest draft bonus pool in all of baseball to add talent with to the Cubs system. If the Cubs sign a player in rounds 11-40 for more than $100,000, the excess is counted against the team’s bonus pool. If the Cubs draft a player in the first 10 rounds they are unable sign, the assigned slot value is removed from their bonus pool allotment.
Assigned Pick Values for the Cubs first 10 rounds:
- Round One – Not Available – Signed, free agent John Lackey
- Round Two – Not Available – Signed, free agent Jason Heyward
- Round Three (Pick #104) – $573,900
- Round Four (Pick #134) – $429,700
- Round Five (Pick #164) – $321,800
- Round Six (Pick #194) – $241,000
- Round Seven (Pick #224) – $186,000
- Round Eight (Pick #254) – $173,800
- Round Nine (Pick #284) – $162,300
- Round Ten (Pick #314) – $156,600
2016 MLB Draft Schedule
- Day One – Thursday, June 9 – Round One, Comp A, Round Two, Comp B
- Day Two – Friday, June 10 (11:30am CDT) – Rounds 3-10
- Day Three – Saturday, June 11 (11:00am CDT) – Rounds 11-40
Cubs Day Two Draft Picks
- Round Three (Pick #104) – RHP Tom Hatch
- Round Four (Pick #134) – RHP Tyson Miller
- Round Five (Pick #164) – RHP Bailey Clark
- Round Six (Pick #194) – RHP Chad Hockin
- Round Seven (Pick #224) – C Michael Cruz
- Round Eight (Pick #254) – RHP Stephen Ridings
- Round Nine (Pick #284) – RHP Duncan Robinson
- Round Ten (Pick #314) – RHP Dakota Mekkes
The Cubs are expected to draft pitching, pitching and more pitching. Jason McLeod said the Cubs are looking for this year’s Jacob deGrom, the Mets’ ninth round pick in the 2010 draft.
The Cubs have had one pitcher the front office has drafted make it to the big leagues (Zack Godley). The first pitcher selected by the Cubs in the past four drafts: RHP Pierce Johnson (2012), LHP Rob Zastryzny (2013), RHP Jake Stinnett (2014), LHP Bryan Hudson (2015).
Jason McLeod and his staff are looking for impact arms and have worked hard to prepare for this year’s draft to make sure they saw as much talent as possible.
Chicago Cubs Online will update this report throughout Day Two when the picks are announced. Those on Twitter can follow @TheCCO for up to the minute draft information. Reports will be posted on the Cubs draft picks, and an overview of the draft once its completed.