Cubs prospect OF Eloy Jimenez named Midwest League Player of the Week
Eloy Jimenez spent the week hitting home runs and on Monday the top power hitter in the Cubs’ system was named the Midwest League Player of the Week (May 16-22).
Eloy Jimenez, 19, finished the week with his fourth home run on Sunday. Jimenez went 1-for-2 with a two-run homer in the first inning and two walks. Jimenez is riding a nine-game hitting streak with five multi-hit performances over that span.
Jimenez has exploded power wise. Four of his six home runs have been over four games since May 19. And five of his six longballs on the season have come in the last nine games. Jimenez went deep twice in the same game on May 19.
Eloy Jimenez is 17-for-41 over his last 10 games with five home runs, four walks, nine strikeouts and eight runs scored. Jimenez has as many RBI (9) as strikeouts (9) in his last 10 games.
For the season, Jimenez is batting .327/.363/.526 with 11 doubles, a triple and six home runs for a .889 OPS. Jimenez has 10 walks and 42 strikeouts in 156 at-bats.
Eloy Jimenez leads the Midwest League in slugging percentage (.526), fourth in OPS (.889), fourth in doubles (11), third in home runs (6), first in total bases (82) and he is tied with teammate Daniel Spingola for fifth in the league in batting average (.327).
Cubs Minor League Players of the Week – 2016
- OF Bijan Rademacher – Southern League (April 7-17)
- INF Chesny Young – Southern League (April 18-24)
- RHP Paul Blackburn – Southern League (April 18-24)
- 2B Ian Happ – Carolina League (April 18-24)
- 1B Dan Vogelbach – Pacific Coast League (May 9-15)
- INF Jason Vosler – Carolina League (May 9-15)
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert – Carolina League (May 16-22)
- OF Eloy Jimenez – Midwest League (May 16-22)