Game Forty-Five: Cubs (30-14) vs. Cardinals (24-22)
- Game Time – 12:45pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: ABC-7, MLB Network – Radio: WSCR 670 The Score, Cubs Radio Network, XM Radio Channels 184, 844
- Location – Busch Stadium III, St. Louis
Jake Arrieta, RHP (8-0, 1.29/0.84/2.47) vs. Carlos Martinez, RHP (4-4, 3.56/1.14/4.21)
It’s game three of round two with the Cardinals
Weather permitting … Jake Arrieta takes the hill this afternoon in the rubber game with the Cardinals.
The Cubs bounced back Tuesday after a rough loss Monday and evened the series at a game apiece. The Cubs have a chance to leave St. Louis with a series victory, Meat Loaf and a happy flight to Chicago.
Today is the last game of a nine-game, three-city road trip that started last Tuesday in Milwaukee. The Cubs are 3-5 in the first eight games. And a 4-5 mark looks a lot better than the alternative at this point.
The Cubs offense must not allow Carlos Martinez to get comfortable and settle in today. Martinez has struggled of late but has the ability to shut the Cubs down. He did last month. Martinez has not pitched to expectations. If the Cubs allow him to gain confidence, it could be a long afternoon.
Today all starts with Jake Arrieta …
Jake Arrieta limited the Giants to one run on four hits with his ‘B stuff’ five days ago. Arrieta was effective but said after the game he could have been better. Arrieta walked two and struck out eight in seven innings while giving up a lot of hard contact. Arrieta picked up the win, the Cubs only victory in San Francisco.
Arrieta is 3-0 in his last four starts with a 1.67 ERA and 0.93 WHIP. Arrieta has given up six runs, five earned, on 15 hits with 10 walks and 31 strikeouts in 27 innings.
Today is Arrieta’s sixth road start of the season. Arrieta is 5-0 with a 0.97 ERA and 0.68 WHIP. Arrieta faces the Redbirds for the first time on the year this afternoon.
Jake Arrieta is 4-1 in nine regular season starts against the Cardinals with a 1.63 ERA and 1.05 WHIP. Arrieta has never won a regular season game at Busch. Arrieta is 0-1 in three starts with a 3.31 ERA and 1.47 WHIP. Arrieta faced the Cardinals four times a year ago. Arrieta was 2-1 with a 2.42 ERA and 1.15 WHIP.
Cardinals Career Numbers against Jake Arrieta
- Matt Carpenter: 1-for-19 with five walks
- Kolten Wong: 5-for-23 with one double
- Matt Holliday: 2-for-17 with three doubles
- Yadier Molina: 3-for-17 with one walk
- Matt Adams: 5-for-15 with one double and two walks
- Ruben Tejada: 1-for-7
- Brandon Moss: 0-for-2 with one walk
- Randal Grichuk: 1-for-3 with one triple
- Stephen Piscotty: 0-for-2 with one walk
- Jedd Gyorko: 1-for-2
The Cubs have to deal with Carlos Martinez this afternoon. And if they allow Martinez to settle in it will be another frustrating game for the offense.
Martinez has struggled in his last four starts. Martinez is 0-4 with a 5.85 ERA and 1.55 WHIP. Over his last 20 innings, Martinez has allowed 13 runs on 22 hits with nine walks and 15 strikeouts. Those numbers can pretty much be thrown out. It’s the Cubs and Martinez will be focused today.
Carlos Martinez gave up a run on three hits and three walks to the Cubs back on April 20. Martinez struck out five in seven innings. And for his career, Martinez is 3-0 in 15 games, five starts, against the Cubs with a 3.96 ERA and 1.34 WHIP.
Cubs Career Numbers against Carlos Martinez
- Anthony Rizzo: 4-for-15 with one double, two home runs and two walks
- Dexter Fowler: 5-for-14 with one double and three walks
- Kris Bryant: 1-for-10 with two walks
- Miguel Montero: 2-for-10 with one double and two walks
- Tommy La Stella: 2-for-8 with one double and two walks
- Addison Russell: 3-for-9
- David Ross: 1-for-7
- Javier Baez: 2-for-6
- Jason Heyward: 2-for-5
- Ben Zobrist: 0-for-2 with one walk
- Jorge Soler: 1-for-1
- Matt Szczur: 0-for-1
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …