Cubs Top Prospect Watch
Some of the rust is finally beginning to shake off, as Carson Sands had is best effort to date, while Mark Zagunis appears to be ready to break out. However, the week five list remains dominated by Willson Contreras, Ian Happ and Eloy Jimenez.
Here then, is how the top prospects have fared:
- Willson Contreras (C) – .353/.423/.485/.908, six doubles, a home run, 10 RBI, a stolen base (Iowa Cubs)
- Ian Happ (INF/OF) – .310/.426/.548/.973, six doubles, a triple, four home runs, 18 RBI, three stolen bases (Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Eloy Jimenez (OF) – .294/.333/.435/.769, seven doubles, a triple, a home run, 12 RBI, three stolen bases (South Bend Cubs)
- Eddy Julio Martinez (OF) – .225/.258/.337/.595, four doubles, two home runs, 13 RBI, a stolen base (South Bend Cubs)
- Billy McKinney (OF) – .219/.305/.247/.551, two doubles, six RBI, a stolen base (Tennessee Smokies)
- Carson Sands (LHP) – 2-0, 20.1 IP, 4.43 ERA, 10 earned runs, 11 strikeouts, 1.377 WHIP (South Bend Cubs)
- Justin Steele (LHP) – 1-3, 12.1 IP, 9.49 ERA, 13 earned runs, 13 strikeouts, 2.595 WHIP (South Bend Cubs)
- Gleyber Torres (SS) – .183/.287/.305/.592, five doubles, a triple, a home run, eight RBI, four stolen bases (Myrtle Beach Pelicans)
- Ryan Williams (RHP) – 2-1, 18.2 IP, 5.30 ERA, 11 earned runs, 12 strikeouts, 1.607 WHIP (Iowa Cubs)
- Mark Zagunis (OF) – .250/.365/.333/.698, three doubles, a home run, seven RBI, a stolen base (Tennessee Smokies)
All statistics are current as of end of play Monday, May 2
Last week, the CCO’s wild card voting ended up in a tie. So, readers will get a double bonus of South Bend outfielder Donnie Dewees and Tennessee right-hander Paul Blackburn as their “wild card” prospects. To find out more about nominating a wild card for next week, see below.
- Paul Blackburn (RHP) – 3-0, 31 IP, 0.29 ERA, one earned run, 15 strikeouts, 0.871 WHIP (Tennessee Smokies)
- Donnie Dewees (OF) – .330/.378/.557/.934, eight doubles, six triples, 16 RBI, seven stolen bases (South Bend Cubs)
Nominate a Wild Card
The Top Prospect Watch is taking weekly nominations for a “wild card” player to be followed on a one week basis. Cast your votes in the comments section, and the player with the most votes will be part of the Top Prospect watch next week.