Game Fifteen: Cubs (11-3) vs. Cardinals (7-7)
- Game Time – 12:45pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: Comcast SportsNet, MLB Network – Radio: WSCR 670 The Score, Cubs Radio Network, XM Radio Channels 184, 844
- Location – Busch Stadium, St. Louis
Kyle Hendricks (1-1, 2.84/0.94/1.78) vs. Carlos Martinez (2-0, 3.46/1.07/3.35)
Weather permitting … The Cubs conclude the series at Busch Stadium. And Joe Maddon’s team has a chance to complete the three-game sweep in St. Louis today behind Kyle Hendricks.
It will not get any easier for the Cubs’ offense with Carlos Martinez on the hill. As a team, the Cubs are not hitting but to this point they are winning games. And that’s all that matters.
Maddon should load his lineup with as many lefties as possible today. It might be a good time to get Kris Bryant a breather and Tommy La Stella a few at bats. Left-handers have hit .276/.355/.428 with a .783 OPS against Martinez and right-handers have managed a .239/.303/.309 line with a .612 OPS.
Today all starts with Kyle Hendricks …
Kyle Hendricks took the loss his last time out. Hendricks was charged with four runs, two earned, on seven hits in six-plus innings. Hendricks struck out five without any walks. Hendricks did not receive any help from his defense, or offense for that matter.
Hendricks makes his third start of the season this afternoon. Hendricks has allowed six runs, four earned, on 11 hits with one walk and 10 strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings this year.
Kyle Hendricks makes his fifth career start against the Cardinals. Hendricks is 0-1 in the first four with a 3.97 ERA and 1.19 WHIP (10 runs, 23 hits, four walks, 10 strikeouts, 22 2/3 innings). Hendricks faced the Cardinals one time a year ago in the regular season. Hendricks received a no-decision after allowing four runs on six hits with two walks and a strikeout in five innings. Hendricks has made two starts at Busch Stadium in the regular season. He has two no-decisions with a 4.91 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP.
Cardinals Career Numbers against Kyle Hendricks
- Matt Carpenter: 7-for-12 with two home runs and two walks
- Matt Holliday: 6-for-14 with two home runs
- Kolten Wong: 3-for-11 with one double, one home run and one walk
- Matt Adams: 0-for-10 with one walk
- Yadier Molina: 1-for-8
- Randal Grichuk: 2-for-3 with one double and one home run
- Jedd Gyorko: 0-for-3
- Ruben Tejada: 0-for-3
- Brandon Moss: 0-for-2
- Stephen Piscotty: 1-for-2
Carlos Martinez is healthy and he’s been pretty good for the Cardinals in two starts this season. Martinez has posted back-to-back quality starts. His last time out he limited the Reds to three runs on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts in seven innings.
In two starts this season (13 innings), Martinez has given up five runs on 10 hits with four walks and 11 strikeouts.
Carlos Martinez owns a 2-0 record in 14 games, four starts, against the Cubs with a 4.55 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. Last season, Martinez was 2-0 in five games, four starts, with a 5.24 ERA and 1.66 WHIP.
Cubs Career Numbers against Carlos Martinez
- Anthony Rizzo: 3-for-12 with one double, one home run and two walks
- Dexter Fowler: 4-for-12 with one double and two walks
- Kris Bryant: 1-for-7 with two walks
- Miguel Montero: 2-for-7 with one double and two walks
- Addison Russell: 3-for-9
- Tommy La Stella: 2-for-6 with one double and one walk
- David Ross: 1-for-7
- Javier Baez: 2-for-3
- Jason Heyward: 1-for-2
- Jorge Soler: 1-for-1 with one double
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …