MLB Pipeline released its pre-season ranking of the top prospects in the Cubs’ system.
SS Gleyber Torres and C Willson Contreras are the best two prospects in the organization according to MLB Pipeline. Torres will begin the season as the consensus No. 1 minor leaguer in the system. After being left off just about every pre-season ranking a year ago, Contreras is considered one of the top two catching prospects in the game.
MLB Pipeline included six Cubs in its top 100 list that was released in January: Gleyber Torres (28), Willson Contreras (50), Ian Happ (76), Duane Underwood Jr. (77), Albert Almora Jr. (86) and Billy McKinney (88).
Jim Callis is high on the pitchers in the Cubs’ system. Callis thinks this time next year that Dylan Cease will be one of the top 100 prospects in baseball.
Three of the top 10 prospects in the Cubs’ system according to MLB Pipeline are pitchers (Duane Underwood Jr., Dylan Cease and Oscar De La Cruz). Entering the 2016 season, 15 of the top 30 prospects in the organization are pitchers.
MLB Pipeline’s Top 10 Cubs Prospects: SS Gleyber Torres, C Willson Contreras, 2B/OF Ian Happ, RHP Duane Underwood Jr., OF Albert Almora Jr., OF Billy McKinney, 3B Jeimer Candelario, RHP Dylan Cease, RHP Oscar De La Cruz and OF Eloy Jimenez.
The biggest jump in the prospect rankings from a year ago was Willson Contreras. MLB Pipeline did not include Contreras in its pre-season list. As for the biggest drop on the list, RHP Jen-Ho Tseng went from No. 11 before last season to the 24th best prospect in the Cubs’ system on the current list.
Cubs Top 30 Prospects
- Gleyber Torres, SS (7, 1)
- Willson Contreras, C (NR, 10)
- Ian Happ, 2B/OF (NA, 6)
- Duane Underwood Jr., RHP (8, 4)
- Albert Almora Jr., OF (6, 5)
- Billy McKinney, OF (9, 2)
- Jeimer Candelario, 3B (15, 20)
- Dylan Cease, RHP (21, 11)
- Oscar De La Cruz, RHP (NR, 24)
- Eloy Jimenez, OF (12, 14)
- Pierce Johnson, RHP (10, 7)
- Donnie Dewees, OF (NA, 8)
- Bryan Hudson, LHP (NA, 15)
- Darryl ‘D.J.’ Wilson, OF (NA, 26)
- Eddy Julio Martinez, OF (NA, 12)
- Carl Edwards Jr., RHP (4, 3)
- Justin Steele, LHP (17, 16)
- Mark Zagunis, OF (18, 9)
- Ryan Williams, RHP (NR, 30)
- Dan Vogelbach, 1B (16, 13)
- Trevor Clifton, RHP (29, 27)
- Jake Stinnett, RHP (13, 21)
- Carson Sands, LHP (14, 18)
- Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP (11, 17)
- Victor Caratini, C (19, 23)
- Christian Villanueva, 3B/1B (24, 22)
- Corey Black, RHP (20, 19)
- Jacob Hannemann, OF (22, 28)
- Brad Markey, RHP (NR, NR)
- Josh Conway, RHP (NR, NR)
There are two additions to MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Cubs Prospect list, RHP Brad Markey and RHP Josh Conway.
Brad Markey had a breakout season a year ago. The soon-to-be 24-year old right hander (Markey turns 24 on March 3) started made 12 appearances for the South Bend Cubs and one start. Markey did not have a win or a loss but allowed nine runs, eight earned, on 24 hits with four walks and 23 strikeouts in 29 innings (2.48 ERA, 0.96 WHIP). Markey took advantage of an opportunity with the Pelicans and was 7-0 in nine games, eight starts, with a 1.15 ERA and 0.74 WHIP. Markey allowed seven runs on 35 hits with six walks and 40 strikeouts in 55 innings.
Josh Conway turns 25 in April and spent last season with High-A Myrtle Beach. Conway appeared in 34 games, all in relief, and posted a 2-2 record with three saves, a 2.92 ERA and 1.52 WHIP. Conway gave up 21 runs, 17 earned, on 49 hits with 31 walks and 49 strikeouts in 52 1/3 innings.
Best Tools in Cubs System
- Hit – Billy McKinney (60)
- Power – Eloy Jimenez (60)
- Run – Darryl ‘D.J.’ Wilson (65)
- Arm – Gleyber Torres (60)
- Defense – Albert Almora Jr. (65)
- Fastball – Dylan Cease (70)
- Curveball – Bryan Hudson (60)
- Slider – Jake Stinnett (55)
- Changeup – Duane Underwood (55)
- Control – Ryan Williams (60)
The CCO’s Pre-Season list of the top prospects in the Cubs’ system will post later this month.
2016 Cubs Prospect Rankings and Reports
- Baseball America’s Top 10 Cubs Prospects for 2016 [includes scouting reports]
- FanGraphs Top Cubs Prospects List for 2016
- Minor League Ball’s Top Cubs Prospects for 2016
- Baseball Prospectus’ Top 101 Includes Six Cubs Prospects
- Six Cubs Prospects Land in MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 List for 2016
- Baseball America’s Top 31 Cubs Prospects for 2016
- Cubs System Ranked No. 20 in Baseball America’s Prospect Handbook
- Cubs System Lands at No. 4 on Keith Law’s Organizational Rankings
- Keith Law’s Top 100 Prospects Includes Six Cubs, Gleyber Torres Checks in at No. 15
- Three Cubs Prospects Ranked in Baseball America’s Top 100
- Cubs Eddy Julio Martinez Just Missed Keith Law’s Top 100 Prospect List
- Keith Law’s Top 10 Cubs Prospects for 2016
- Baseball America Considers Willson Contreras Second Best Catching Prospect in the Game
- Cubs Prospects Place High on Keith Law’s Positional Rankings
- Cubs Have Seventh Best Group of Position Player Prospects