Day Three of Baseball’s Winter Meetings is underway. The Cubs made two large deals during the second day of the Meetings and no one thinks the front office is done making moves.
Jesse Rogers reported late Tuesday that he spoke with Theo Epstein and was told there is a chance the Cubs sync up another free agent signing and trade.
Before the Ben Zobrist deal and Starlin Castro trade hit the wire, Epstein said, “I wouldn’t read too much into any one rumor because we are pretty engaged in free agency and we are pretty engaged in the trade market and a lot of those moves are sort of co-dependent or interdependent and we’ll see how it shakes out.”
Epstein also talked about the importance of adding depth to the Major League roster and the upper level of the system.
The Cubs are believed to be targeting Jason Heyward. Bruce Levine connected the Cubs to Carlos Gonzalez. Reports have suggested that Jorge Soler and/or Javier Baez could still be moved to acquire pitching. And Alex Gordon is considered an option for the Cubs.
The front office is believed to be looking at Denard Span to play center and hit at the top of Maddon’s lineup. And Gerardo Parra is reportedly another option the Cubs are exploring for the outfield.
Other possibilities include trading Miguel Montero to free up payroll. Moving Montero would require the Cubs having a plan in place to acquire a veteran catcher. The Cubs believe Kyle Schwarber will eventually be the team’s starting catcher, just not next season.
There are also rumblings the Cubs are looking to add to the bullpen, either through a trade or signing free agents.
Tuesday may have just been the beginning of a series of moves for the Chicago Cubs.
Day Three Updates
• Update 10:46am CST – According to Jerry Crasnick, the Rockies “have had a flurry of Carlos Gonzalez-related talks.”
• Update 10:46am CST – Nationals are making a push to sign Mike Leake according to Ken Rosenthal.
• Update 10:46am CST – The Cubs finished second for Shelby Miller. According to Joel Sherman, the Cubs were willing to include Jorge Soler in the trade.
• Update 10:46am CST – The Cubs are showing interest in Jason Heyward, Denard Span and Gerardo Parra according to Jon Heyman.
• Update 10:46am CST – According to Buster Olney, the Giants are seen as the front runners for Alex Gordon.
• Update 11:25am CST – Brewers traded Adam Lind to the Mariners for minor league right handers Carlos Herrera, Daniel Missaki and Freddy Peralta.
• Update 11:25am CST – The Mets and Nationals were runners up for Ben Zobrist. According to Jon Heyman both teams are looking at the possibility of trading for Neil Walker.
• Update 11:25am CST – According to Evan Drellich, the Cubs like Carlos Gomez.
• Update 11:25am CST – Jon Heyman confirmed Carlos Gonzalez’s name “is getting out there as possible trade candidate.”
• Update 11:33am CST – Angels’ priorities right now, according to Alden Gonzalez, are Jason Heyward, Alex Gordon and Yoenis Cespedes “but there ability to land them depends on the budget.”
• Update 11:59am CST – Angels have “very serious interest” in Neil Walker.
• Update 11:59am CST – The extent of the Cubs interest in Jason Heyward is unclear. According to Ken Rosenthal the “added benefit of staying in mix is driving up price for Cardinals.”
• Update 12:22pm CST – Jon Heyman is hearing from “folks in lobby” a 10-year contract for Jason Heyward is very possible. The Cubs, Cardinals, Giants and Angels, plus the Mystery Team, are the teams Heyman lists in his tweet.
• Update 12:24pm CST – The Giants are active in the outfielders market and are open to signing Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton, Jason Heyward, Alex Gordon, Dexter Fowler and Denard Span according to Heyman.
• Update 1:20pm CST – The Orioles are one of the teams that have checked in on Carlos Gonzalez.
• Update 1:22pm CST – According to Jon Heyman, Mike Leake has an offer on the table from the Nationals and pushing to sign him.
• Update 1:23pm CST – Adam Rubin reported the Mets and Pirates are talking about a Jon Niese for Neil Walker deal.
• Update 1:30pm CST – According to Buster Olney, the Diamondbacks offer to Johnny Cueto was six years and $126 million.
• Update 2:08pm CST – The Padres are being aggressive according to Ken Rosenthal and will listen on anyone, including Tyson Ross. The Padres had at least one deal working Tuesday.
• Update 2:08pm CST – Rob Bradford reported “team recently asked about Jackie Bradley Jr. was told by Red Sox they are hanging on to him”
• Update 2:08pm CST – The Indians will not get the same return with one of their starting pitchers that the Braves did for Shelby Miller because “they are seeking Major League help, not prospects” according to Rosenthal.
• Update 2:11pm CST – According to Bob Nightengale, the Indians are talking to the Reds about Todd Frazier.
• Update 2:23pm CST – Talks between the Phillies and Astros for Ken Giles are heating up according to Jim Salisbury.
• Update 2:23pm CST – According to Joel Sherman, the Mets have acquired 2B Neil Walker from the Pirates for LHP Jon Niese.
Check back throughout the day. This report will be updated with reliable information from the Winter Meetings. Headline worthy news will receive individual reports. And make sure to follow on Twitter (@TheCCO) for up to the minute news and rumors.