Game One Hundred Forty-Eight: Cubs (86-61) vs. Cardinals (92-55)
- Game Time – 12:05pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: FOX – Radio: WBBM 780, Cubs Radio Network, XM Radio Channels 184, 844
- Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Travis Wood (5-4, 4.11/1.30/3.52) vs. Michael Wacha (16-5, 2.96/1.15/3.56)
The Cubs look to make it two wins in a row over the Cardinals this afternoon behind another ‘Bullpen Day.’ Travis Wood is first up out of the pen and will have the tough task of keeping what should be a fired up Redbirds’ team off the board.
Joe Maddon is running out a right-handed lineup today against Michael Wacha. Maddon’s starting nine: Austin Jackson CF, Jorge Soler RF, Kris Bryant 3B, Anthony Rizzo 1B, Starlin Castro 2B, Javier Baez SS, Chris Denorfia LF, David Ross C and Travis Wood P.
Will the Cardinals move on from Friday or will Mike Matheny stick to the ‘Cardinal Way?’ The best and only way for the Cubs to respond is to beat the Cardinals and keep the pressure on the Pirates. The Cubs enter play today just a game back of the Pirates in the standings. And Pittsburgh has to deal with Clayton Kershaw at Dodger Stadium (8:10pm CDT).
Len Kasper is calling this afternoon’s game on FOX with Eric Karros.
Today all starts with Travis Wood …
Two days after picking up his second save of the season with a lights out, two-inning performance in Pittsburgh, Travis Wood will be on the mound to make the first pitch this afternoon against the Cardinals.
Wood makes his second start in three outings today. Wood tossed three innings of shutout ball seven days ago (Sept. 12) in Philadelphia. Wood allowed three hits without walking a batter while striking out five before he handed the ball to Trevor Cahill. Wood has been sharp each of the last three times out.
Since the break, Wood is 0-1 in 23 games, one start, with a 3.52 ERA and 1.37 WHIP. And at Wrigley this year, Wood is 5-0 in 24 games, three starts, with a 2.89 ERA and 1.20 WHIP.
Travis Wood makes his second start and fifth appearance of the year against the Cardinals today. Wood struggled in two appearances against the Redbirds this season and was very good in the other two games. Wood is 1-0 with a 7.71 ERA and 1.63 WHIP. Wood allowed six runs on six hits in five innings to the Cardinals on May 4 in a game the Cubs eventually lost 10-9. And on June 27, Wood surrendered four runs on four hits and four walks to the Redbirds in 2 2/3 innings.
Joe Maddon would like to get three to four innings out of Wood this afternoon. With a rested Clayton Richard and Trevor Cahill plus an unused Tsuyoshi Wada, if Wood struggles look for Maddon to go to his pen earlier than he planned.
Cardinals Career Numbers against Travis Wood
- Matt Holliday: 16-for-43 with five doubles, four home runs and two walks
- Matt Carpenter: 9-for-37 with one double, two home runs and four walks
- Yadier Molina: 15-for-41 with four doubles and three home runs
- Jon Jay: 13-for-34 with three doubles
- Jhonny Peralta: 4-for-18 with two doubles and five walks
- Mark Reynolds: 6-for-16 with two home runs and two walks
- Pete Kozma: 5-for-13 with two doubles
- Matt Adams: 3-for-13
- Randal Grichuk: 3-for-11 with two doubles and one walk
- Jason Heyward: 3-for-7 with two walks
- Tony Cruz: 2-for-7 with one double and one walk
- Kolten Wong: 3-for-7 with one double and one home run
- Peter Bourjos: 0-for-4 with two walks
- Greg Garcia: 0-for-1
- Tommy Pham: 0-for-1 with one walk
- Michael Wacha: 0-for-2
- Brandon Moss: 0-for-1
Michael Wacha bounced back from the poor outing against the Cubs with a quality starts in Cincinnati. Wacha allowed two runs on three hits to the Reds in six innings with five strikeouts. Wacha walked four batters and not one free pass was Joey Votto. Wacha has almost equaled his pre-break walk total (24 in 107 1/3 innings) in just over half the amount of innings since the break (23 in 60 innings). Patience is paying off for other teams against Wacha as the season progresses.
Wacha is 1-1 in his last two starts with a 7.20 ERA and 1.60 WHIP (six runs on six hits with three walks and two strikeouts in four innings against the Cubs on Sept. 8) and 6-2 in his last 10 with a 3.00 ERA and 1.25 WHIP.
The Cubs get their fourth look of the season at Michael Wacha this afternoon. Wacha is 1-1 in the first three with a 6.75 ERA and 1.56 WHIP. The Cubs are hitting .302 as a team against him.
Cubs Numbers against Michael Wacha in 2015
- Starlin Castro: 4-for-8 with one double, one home run and one walk
- Kris Bryant: 1-for-8 with one triple
- Chris Coghlan: 1-for-7 with one double and one walk
- Miguel Montero: 1-for-8 with one double
- Anthony Rizzo: 4-for-8 with one home run
- Dexter Fowler: 2-for-5 with one walk
- Addison Russell: 0-for-5 with one walk
- Austin Jackson: 1-for-3
- Jorge Soler: 1-for-3
- Javier Baez: 2-for-2 with two doubles
- Travis Wood: 0-for-1 with one walk
- Clayton Richard: 0-for-1
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …