All-Star Game Home Run Derby
- Start Time – 7:00pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: ESPN – Radio: MLB Network Radio Channel 89
- Location – Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati
Anthony Rizzo (.298/.413/.542/.955 – 16 HR) and Kris Bryant (.269/.376/.472/.848 – 12 HR)
Weather permitting … The annual Home Run Derby takes place Monday night at the Great American Ball Park, or Great American Launching Pad as the beautiful facility in the Queen City is often referred to. For the first time, two Cubs will compete in The Derby … Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant.
Rizzo and Bryant are the first Cubs to participate in The Derby since Sammy Sosa in 2004 and join Ryne Sandberg (1985, 1990), Andre Dawson (1987), George Bell (1991) and Sammy Sosa (1995, 1999, 2000-02, 2004) as the Cubs to compete in the event. Sandberg won The Derby in 1990 and Sosa took the title in 2000.
Kris Bryant will square off against Albert Pujols in the first round. And Anthony Rizzo faces Josh Donaldson in round one. Kris Bryant’s father, Mike, will pitch to him and Rizzo tabbed Cubs’ coach Franklin Font to throw to him batting practice.
This year’s Derby is under a different set of rules and with the new bracket system, Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant could square off in the finals.
- There are no more “outs” in a round.
- The event consists of three rounds.
- It is single elimination, with the loser immediately eliminated.
- Seeding is based on 2015 home run totals through July 7.
- In each bracket, the higher seed will hit second.
- Batter with most home runs advances.
- Ties in any round are broken by a 90-second swing-off. If it’s still tied, batters engage in successive three-swing swing-offs until a winner is declared.
- Batters will have five minutes to hit as many home runs as possible.
- Timer starts with release of first pitch, and will stop for homers hit in final minute.
- Timer will not start again until batter hits a ball that’s not a home run, or swings and misses at a pitch.
- Each batter is allowed one 45-second “timeout” per round.
Bonus Time Rules
- The following bonus time will be added based on the number of home runs hit and their distance, as calculated by MLB Advanced Media’s Statcast.
|HR Per Round||Distance||Bonus Time Added|
|0-1||474 or Less||0|
|2+||420-474 and 475+ or both 475+||1:30 Min|
Let’s Talk Home Run Derby …