According to a report from Jim Callis, the Cubs signed LHP Bryan Hudson. The team’s third round pick in last month’s draft agreed to an above slot deal for $1.1 million. The Cubs’ third round slot value was $731,000. And according to the draft tracker, the Cubs signed eighth round pick, RHP Preston Morrison for $30,000 which is significantly less than the $174,200 slot allotment.
The Cubs have not announced signing LHP Bryan Hudson or RHP Preston Morrison.
• Cubs Selected LHP Bryan Hudson in Third Round of 2015 Draft [Report: June 9]
The Cubs went with a high school pitcher in the third round of the draft and selected LHP Bryan Hudson with the 82nd overall pick from Alton High School, Illinois in the First-Year Player Draft.
Bryan Hudson is 6-foot-8, 220 pounds and just turned 18 years old (May 8, 1997). Hudson is extremely athletic and with a projectable frame could add a couple of ticks to a fastball that has already touched 93 mph.
MLB Pipeline Scouting Grades – Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45
Bryan Hudson features a hard breaking ball in which reports indicate range from the high-70s to low-80s (77-82). Hudson’s fastball sits in the upper-80s and he can consistently touch 92-93 mph with his fastball. Due to his arm action, scouts feel his fastball will eventually reach the mid-90s.
Hudson throws a changeup but reportedly has very little confidence in it. Hudson is considered more a two-pitch pitcher right now due to the lack of a change of pace. Hudson has clean arm action, throws plenty of strikes and the body control necessary to repeat his delivery.
The reports on the first pitcher the Cubs selected in the 2015 draft are positive and point to a lefty with a projectable frame and a very good upside. High school pitchers are difficult to project. Based on the video, Bryan Hudson’s curveball is going to be a lot of fun for hitters in the Midwest League, Carolina League, Southern League and Pacific Coast League in the coming years.
Cubs 2015 First-Year Player Draft
The Cubs have signed each of the team’s first 10 round picks in the draft.
Donnie Dewees, Bryan Hudson and D.J. Wilson signed above slot deals … Dewees for $1.7 million ($1,292,100 pick value), Hudson for $1.1 million ($731,000 pick value) and Wilson for $1.3 million ($503,100 pick value). The Cubs spent $7,568,700 on the first 10 picks in the draft, $332,600 over its $7,236,100 signing bonus pool. The Cubs are 4.6% over its bonus pool and will not receive a penalty unless they sign a player selected in rounds 11-40 for more than $129,205. The signing bonuses given to players outside of the first 10 rounds are unknown at this point.
Overall, the Cubs have signed 27 of the 40 players they selected in last month’s draft.
Draft Picks and Assigned Values for the Cubs first 10 rounds:
- Round One (Pick #9) – $3,351,000 – OF/2B Ian Happ – Signed: $3,000,000
- Round Two (Pick #47) – $1,292,100 – OF Donnie Dewees – Signed: $1,700,000
- Round Three (Pick #82) – $731,000 – LHP Bryan Hudson – Signed $1,100,000
- Round Four (Pick #113) – $503,100 – OF D.J. (Darryl) Wilson – Signed: $1,300,000
- Round Five (Pick #143) – $376,700 – LHP Ryan Kellogg – Signed: $376,700
- Round Six (Pick #173) – $281,900 – RHP David Berg – Signed: $50,000
- Round Seven (Pick #203) – $211,300 – RHP Craig Brooks – Signed: $5,000
- Round Eight (Pick #233) – $174,200 – RHP Preston Morrison – Signed: $30,000
- Round Nine (Pick #263) – $162,800 – LHP Tyler Peitzmeier – Signed: $5,000
- Round Ten (Pick #293) – $152,000 – SS Vimael Machin – Signed: $2,000
- Round Eleven (Pick #323) – 3B Matt Rose – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirteen (Pick #383) – LHP Kyle Twomey – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Sixteen (Pick #473) – CF Michael Foster – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Seventeen (Pick #503) – RHP Casey Bloomquist – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Nineteen (Pick #563) – RHP Kyle Miller – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty (Pick #593) – 3B Blake Headley – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-One (Pick #623) – RHP Jared Cheek – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Two (Pick #653) – OF Alex Bautista – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Three (Pick #683) – LHP John Williamson – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Four (Pick #713) – SS Sutton Whiting – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Five (Pick #743) – C Marcus Mastrobuoni – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Seven (Pick #803) – 2B Angelo Amendolare – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Nine (Pick #863) – C Ian Rice – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty (Pick #893) – C Tyler Payne – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-One (Pick #923) – OF Daniel Spingola – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-Three (Pick #983) – RHP M.T. Minacci – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-Seven (Pick #1,103) – OF Donnie Cimino – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
Cubs Announce Signing OF Ian Happ, and Nine Draft Picks [June 19] – Report includes information on OF/2B Ian Happ, LHP Ryan Kellogg, RHP Dave Berg, RHP Craig Brooks, INF Vimael Machin, INF Blake Headley, RHP Jared Cheek, LHP John Williamson, C Marcus Mastrobuoni and INF Angelo Amendolare.
Cubs Announce Signing OF Donnie Dewees, OF D.J. Wilson and 11 Draft Picks [June 26] – Report includes information on OF Donnie Dewees, OF Darryl (D.J.) Wilson, LHP Tyler Peitzmeier, 3B Matt Rose, LHP Kyle Twomey, RHP Kyle Miller, OF Alex Bautista, SS Sutton Whiting, C Ian Rice, C Tyler Payne, OF Daniel Spingola, RHP M.T. Minacci and OF Donnie Cimino.