The Cubs announced Thursday the team signed three players selected in the draft: LHP Bryan Hudson, RHP Preston Morrison and RHP Scott Effross.
Left-handed pitcher Bryan Hudson, the club’s third round pick (82nd overall) of the 2015 Draft, reportedly signed for an above slot deal for $1.1 million. The Cubs’ third round slot value was $731,000.
The Cubs signed eighth round pick, RHP Preston Morrison for $30,000 which is significantly less than the $174,200 slot allotment. The Cubs also confirmed signing RHP Scott Effross, the team’s 15th round pick.
LHP Bryan Hudson
Bryan Hudson, 18, starred at Alton (Ill.) High School and went 10-2 with five shutouts and a 0.50 ERA in 70.1 innings while striking out 152 hitters in 15 appearances (13 starts) for the Redbirds this past season. The southpaw limited opponents to a .138 batting average to go along with a 0.90 WHIP. He averaged 19.45 strikeouts per nine innings all while posting a 5.24 strikeout to walk ratio (29 walks).
The 6-foot-8, 220-pound lefthander just turned 18 years old (May 8, 1997) and helped lead the Redbirds to a school-record 30 wins in 2015, including a second-place tie in the Southwestern Conference with an 11-3 mark. Hudson finished his career at Alton with a school record 25 wins and 323 strikeouts, while posting a 1.32 ERA (29 earned runs in 198 innings). Hudson is a three-time All Southwestern Conference pitcher, a two-time All-State Performer for the Illinois Coaches Association and a two-time All-State Performer for Prep Baseball Report.
Hudson features a hard breaking ball in which reports indicate range from the high-70s to low-80s (77-82). Hudson’s fastball sits in the upper-80s and he can consistently touch 92-93 mph with his fastball. Due to his arm action, scouts feel his fastball will eventually reach the mid-90s.
Hudson throws a changeup but reportedly has very little confidence in it. Hudson is considered more a two-pitch pitcher right now due to the lack of a change of pace. Hudson has clean arm action, throws plenty of strikes and the body control necessary to repeat his delivery.
RHP Preston Morrison
Preston Morrison turns 22 on July 19. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound right hander from TCU, the same school as Jake Arrieta, was The Big 12 Pitcher of the Year in 2014. And he helped lead TCU to the College World Series.
Morrison was a four-year starter at TCU and posted a 37-12 record in 74 games, 61 starts (nine complete games), with a 2.51 ERA and 0.93 WHIP. Morrison allowed 363 hits with 73 walks and 322 strikeouts in 471 innings. Morrison was 12-3 in 19 games, 17 starts, as a senior with a 2.51 ERA and 1.00 WHIP (100 hits, 22 walks and 91 strikeouts in 122 innings).
Morrison features a fastball in the mid- to high-80s with a lot of movement. Morrison also throws a sinker, and a “Frisbee” breaking ball that ranges from the low- to high-70s. Morrison mainly throws from a three-quarter arm slot but will drop down to sidearm “to mess with hitters” according to Baseball America. Morrison “crafty approach may work” as a reliever in pro ball.
RHP Scott Effross
Scott Effross was used mainly as a reliever at Indiana. Effross excelled in the Cape and was a Cape Cod League All-Star. During his career at Indiana, Effross was 15-8 in 81 games, eight starts, with a 2.26 ERA and 1.07 WHIP. Effross allowed 159 hits with 33 walks and 125 strikeouts in 179 innings.
As a junior, Effross was 4-4 in 21 games, seven starts, with a 2.35 ERA and 0.96 WHIP. Effross gave up 50 hits with nine walks and 51 strikeouts in 61 1/3 innings.
Effross’ fastball sits in the 91-94 mph range with good life and a slider. He has a feel for a changeup that was considered a work in progress in the spring.
Cubs 2015 First-Year Player Draft
The Cubs have signed each of the team’s first 10 round picks in the draft.
Donnie Dewees, Bryan Hudson and D.J. Wilson signed above slot deals. Dewees signed for $1.7 million ($1,292,100 pick value), Hudson for $1.1 million ($731,000 pick value) and Wilson for $1.3 million ($503,100 pick value). The Cubs spent $7,568,700 on the first 10 picks in the draft, $332,600 over its $7,236,100 signing bonus pool. The Cubs are 4.6% over and will not receive a penalty unless they sign a player selected in rounds 11-40 for more than $129,205. The signing bonuses given to players outside of the first 10 rounds are unknown at this point.
Overall, the Cubs have signed 28 of the 40 players they selected in last month’s draft.
Draft Picks and Assigned Values for the Cubs first 10 rounds:
- Round One (Pick #9) – $3,351,000 – OF/2B Ian Happ – Signed: $3,000,000
- Round Two (Pick #47) – $1,292,100 – OF Donnie Dewees – Signed: $1,700,000
- Round Three (Pick #82) – $731,000 – LHP Bryan Hudson – Signed $1,100,000
- Round Four (Pick #113) – $503,100 – OF D.J. (Darryl) Wilson – Signed: $1,300,000
- Round Five (Pick #143) – $376,700 – LHP Ryan Kellogg – Signed: $376,700
- Round Six (Pick #173) – $281,900 – RHP David Berg – Signed: $50,000
- Round Seven (Pick #203) – $211,300 – RHP Craig Brooks – Signed: $5,000
- Round Eight (Pick #233) – $174,200 – RHP Preston Morrison – Signed: $30,000
- Round Nine (Pick #263) – $162,800 – LHP Tyler Peitzmeier – Signed: $5,000
- Round Ten (Pick #293) – $152,000 – SS Vimael Machin – Signed: $2,000
- Round Eleven (Pick #323) – 3B Matt Rose – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirteen (Pick #383) – LHP Kyle Twomey – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Fifteen (Pick #443) – RHP Scott Effross – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Sixteen (Pick #473) – CF Michael Foster – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Seventeen (Pick #503) – RHP Casey Bloomquist – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Nineteen (Pick #563) – RHP Kyle Miller – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty (Pick #593) – 3B Blake Headley – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-One (Pick #623) – RHP Jared Cheek – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Two (Pick #653) – OF Alex Bautista – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Three (Pick #683) – LHP John Williamson – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Four (Pick #713) – SS Sutton Whiting – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Five (Pick #743) – C Marcus Mastrobuoni – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Seven (Pick #803) – 2B Angelo Amendolare – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Nine (Pick #863) – C Ian Rice – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty (Pick #893) – C Tyler Payne – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-One (Pick #923) – OF Daniel Spingola – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-Three (Pick #983) – RHP M.T. Minacci – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-Seven (Pick #1,103) – OF Donnie Cimino – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
Cubs Announce Signing OF Ian Happ, and Nine Draft Picks [June 19] – Report includes information on OF/2B Ian Happ, LHP Ryan Kellogg, RHP Dave Berg, RHP Craig Brooks, INF Vimael Machin, INF Blake Headley, RHP Jared Cheek, LHP John Williamson, C Marcus Mastrobuoni and INF Angelo Amendolare.
Cubs Announce Signing OF Donnie Dewees, OF D.J. Wilson and 11 Draft Picks [June 26] – Report includes information on OF Donnie Dewees, OF Darryl (D.J.) Wilson, LHP Tyler Peitzmeier, 3B Matt Rose, LHP Kyle Twomey, RHP Kyle Miller, OF Alex Bautista, SS Sutton Whiting, C Ian Rice, C Tyler Payne, OF Daniel Spingola, RHP M.T. Minacci and OF Donnie Cimino.