MLB Pipeline posted an update to its ranking of the top prospects in the Cubs’ system and two pitchers were added to the list, RHP Jeremy Null and RHP Ivan Pineyro.
With Kris Bryant, Addison Russell and Jorge Soler no longer eligible for MLB Pipeline’s list, Carl Edwards Jr. slides to the top of the Cubs’ prospect ranking. When the mid-season lists are released, C Kyle Schwarber will be ranked as the top prospect in the Cubs’ system.
For now, MLB Pipeline has RHP Carl Edwards Jr., C Kyle Schwarber, OF Albert Almora, SS Gleyber Torres, RHP Duane Underwood, OF Billy McKinney, RHP Pierce Johnson, RHP Jen-Ho Tseng, OF Eloy Jimenez and RHP Jake Stinnett as the top 10 prospects in the organization.
RHP Jeremy Null is the 28th best prospect in the system according to MLB Pipeline and RHP Ivan Pineyro was inserted at No. 30.
The top 30 prospects in the Cubs’ system, according to MLB Pipeline, currently consist of 16 pitchers and 14 position players.
RHP Jeremy Null
RHP Jeremy Null was the Cubs Minor League Pitcher of the Month for April and is having a very good season. Null was 2-0 in four starts in April with a 0.79 ERA and a 0.79 WHIP. Null allowed two runs on 18 hits with no walks and 23 strikeouts in 22 2/3 innings. Last month, Null was 3-1 in five starts with a 2.57 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP. Null was charged with 12 runs, eight earned, on 34 hits with three walks and 17 strikeouts in 28 innings.
In his first full season (drafted in 15th round last June), Null is 5-1 in nine starts with a 1.78 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP. Null has given up 14 runs, 10 earned, on 52 hits with three walks and 40 strikeouts in 50 2/3 innings.
MLB Pipeline compared Jeremy Null to RHP Scott Feldman and RHP Doug Fister due to his upright delivery. And if Null is not able to stick in a Major League rotation, MLB Pipeline pointed to him having success as a reliever in the big leagues.
RHP Ivan Pineyro
The Cubs acquired RHP Ivan Pineyro from the Nationals for Scott Hairston in July 2013 and he dealt with injuries last season in his first full year in the Cubs organization. Pineyro is healthy this season and has put up solid numbers for Double-A Tennessee.
Pineyro had a rough start to the year. In his first four starts, Pineyro allowed 10 runs on 16 hits with eight walks and 19 strikeouts (4.35 ERA, 1.16 WHIP). Pineyro appeared to get back on track in May.
In six starts last month, Pineyro gave up 12 runs, 11 earned, on 34 hits with seven walks and 35 strikeouts in 35 2/3 innings.
For the season, Ivan Pineyro is 4-3 in 10 starts with a 3.36 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. Pineyro has allowed 22 runs, 21 earned, on 50 hits with 15 walks and 54 strikeouts in 56 1/3 innings.
Ivan Pineyro, as MLB Pipeline pointed out, has a ceiling of a No. 4 or No. 5 starter. Pineyro has the stuff that plays well in a bullpen. If he can stay heathy and throw strikes, he has the chance to help the Cubs win games in some capacity in the not too distant future.
Cubs Top 30 Prospects for 2015
- Carl Edwards Jr., RHP (5) (4)
- Kyle Schwarber, C/OF (6) (5)
- Albert Almora, OF (3) (6)
- Gleyber Torres, SS (14) (7)
- Duane Underwood, RHP (19) (8)
- Billy McKinney, OF (7) (9)
- Pierce Johnson, RHP (8) (10)
- Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP (13) (11)
- Eloy Jimenez, OF (12) (12)
- Jake Stinnett, RHP (NR) (13)
- Carson Sands, LHP (18) (14)
- Jeimer Candelario, 3B (11) (15)
- Dan Vogelbach, 1B (9) (16)
- Justin Steele, LHP (NR) (17)
- Mark Zagunis, C/OF (NR) (18)
- Victor Caratini, C/3B (10) (19)
- Corey Black, RHP (16) (20)
- Dylan Cease, RHP (NR) (21)
- Jacob Hannemann, OF (NR) (22)
- Rob Zastryzny, LHP (NR) (23)
- Christian Villanueva, 3B (17) (24)
- Daury Torrez, RHP (NR) (25)
- Eric Jokisch, LHP (NR) (26)
- Paul Blackburn, RHP (15) (27)
- Kevonte Mitchell, OF (NR) (28)
- Trevor Clifton, RHP (NR) (29)
- Bijan Rademacher, OF (20) (30)
- Jeremy Null, RHP (NR) (NR)
- Danny Lockhart, 2B/SS (NR) (NR)
- Ivan Pineyro, RHP (NR) (NR)
The Cubs have done a good job of adding power arms to the system over the past three years. While some of the pitchers currently ranked among the top 30 prospects in the organization have a chance to start games in the big leagues, the front office has added depth with pitchers that have the stuff to be successful in a Major League bullpen.
MLB Pipeline 2015 Rankings of Cubs Prospects
- MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Cubs Prospects for 2015 [March 2015]
- MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Cubs Prospect List Updated to Include INF Danny Lockhart [April 2015]