According to a report from Jonathan Mayo, the Cubs have agreed to terms with second round pick, OF Donnie Dewees.
Jonathan Mayo reported Tuesday night, the Cubs signed Donnie Dewees for $1.7 million, which would be $407,900 over the $1,292,100 allotment for the Cubs second round pick.
The Cubs have not announced signing OF Donnie Dewees.
• Cubs Select OF Donnie Dewees in Second Round of 2015 Draft [Report: June 9]
Reports prior to the draft suggested the Cubs could take OF Donnie Dewees in the first round. The Cubs really like the three-sport star from Florida.
The 21-year old Dewees (Sept. 29, 1993) is 6-foot, 190 pounds and hits and bats from the left side. Dewees has a compact swing with good bat to ball skills. Dewees does not project has a power hitter but drives the ball to all fields and is a plus runner.
Keith Law compared him to the Yankees’ Brett Gardner, a top of the order hitter that he thinks he could quickly move through a system.
Dewees ended the season as the Division I leader in hits (106), runs (88), total bases (188) and slugging percentage, and he tied for third in the nation in home runs (18), one fewer than OF Andrew Benintendi.
In 60 games, Dewees batted .422/.483/.749 with 12 doubles, eight triples and 18 home runs for a 1.232 OPS. Dewees had 30 walks and 16 strikeouts in 251 at bats.
Defensively, Dewees covers ground well in the outfield but could end up in left field due to well below-average arm strength. Dewees lost a majority of his sophomore season with a broken wrist.
• MLB Pipeline Scouting Grades – Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 60 | Arm: 40 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50
Donnie Dewees was named a semi-finalist for the 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award and was named the 2015 Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Year. The redshirt sophomore batted .422 (106-for-251) with 88 runs, 12 doubles, eight triples, 18 home runs and 68 RBI in 60 games for North Florida this season. Thanks to 30 walks compared to 16 strikeouts, the left-handed hitter recorded a .483 on-base percentage and a .749 slugging percentage, good for a 1.232 OPS. He led the nation in hits (106), runs, slugging percentage and total bases (188).
Earlier in 2015, Dewees held the nation’s longest hitting streak of 31 games, and he recorded two hit streaks of 16 games or more this season, helping the Ospreys to their first Atlantic Sun regular season championship.
Donnie Dewees in 2014 hit .340 (51-for-150) with 31 runs, nine doubles, one triple, three homers, 20 RBI and 20 walks for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks in the Cape Cod League. In 2013 with North Florida, Dewees was named a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American. A native of Crystal River, Fla., Dewees graduated from Crystal River High School.
Cubs 2015 First-Year Player Draft
The Cubs signing bonus pool for the first 10 rounds of this year’s draft is $7,236,100 million down from $8,352,200 million from a year ago. If the Cubs sign a player in rounds 11-40 for more than $100,000, the excess is counted against the team’s bonus pool. If the Cubs draft a player in the first 10 rounds they are unable sign, the assigned slot value is removed from their bonus pool allotment.
Draft Picks and Assigned Values for the Cubs first 10 rounds:
- Round One (Pick #9) – $3,351,000 – OF/2B Ian Happ – Signed: $3,000,000
- Round Two (Pick #47) – $1,292,100 – OF Donnie Dewees – Signed: $1,700,000
- Round Three (Pick #82) – $731,000 – LHP Bryan Hudson
- Round Four (Pick #113) – $503,100 – OF D.J. (Darryl) Wilson
- Round Five (Pick #143) – $376,700 – LHP Ryan Kellogg – Signed: $376,700
- Round Six (Pick #173) – $281,900 – RHP David Berg – Signed: $50,000
- Round Seven (Pick #203) – $211,300 – RHP Craig Brooks – Signed: $5,000
- Round Eight (Pick #233) – $174,200 – RHP Preston Morrison
- Round Nine (Pick #263) – $162,800 – LHP Tyler Peitzmeier
- Round Ten (Pick #293) – $152,000 – SS Vimael Machin – Signed: $2,000
- Round Twenty (Pick #593) – 3B Blake Headley – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-One (Pick #623) – RHP Jared Cheek – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Three (Pick #683) – LHP John Williamson – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Five (Pick #743) – C Marcus Mastrobuoni – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Twenty-Seven (Pick #803) – 2B Angelo Amendolare – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)
- Round Thirty-Three (Pick #983) – RHP M.T. Minacci – Signed: (Bonus Unknown)