Instead of jumping right back into the news, notes and rumors of the day, it seemed more appropriate to smile a little bit first.
The tributes and unbelievably kind words for Mr. Ernie Banks, the player and more importantly the person, will continue for several days and the weeks and months ahead.
Ryan Dempster returned to the organization, signed a one-day contract with the team and retired as a Cub before officially taking a job in the front office as a Special Assistant to Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer. Dempster helped recruit Jon Lester, both publicly and privately, and would like for this group of players to accomplish what he was unable to during his playing time with the team.
The Cubs added what should be a new staple to the convention with ‘Friday Night with Ryan Dempster.’ And the former big league right hander nailed the concept of a late night talk show. Dempster put on a show with a rather impressive guest list that included Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, Jon Lester, Jake Arrieta, Anthony Rizzo and Joe Maddon.
Ryan Dempster gave a nod to David Letterman with a top 10 list as to why the Cubs hired Joe Maddon before an entertaining segment with the team’s new skipper.
Top 10 Reasons the Cubs Hired Joe Maddon
9) “We’re trying to set the Guinness Book of World Records for the most fired managers.”
8) “We needed someone who would take the leftover Harry Caray Glasses.”
7) “The Cubs’ bus keeps breaking down so we figured, ‘Hey, we can use his RV.’
6) “Most managers take shots from the media; Joe Maddon buys shots for the media.”
5) “We have a young team here in Chicago, and if 60 is the new 40, well, we need someone to manage all of our toddlers.”
4) “Kim DeJesus told us to.”
3) “He’s the son of a plumber and, let’s just face it: the Wrigley bathrooms need a ton of work.”
2) “We just feel bad for anyone who lives in Florida.”
1) “Well, because of all the other managers we tried to tamper with, none of them called us back.”
Of course Ryan Dempster was joking about the team tampering with Joe Maddon and the front office should be cleared of the charges the Rays filed in the near future.