The Red Sox have stepped up and significantly increased their offer to Jon Lester from the four-year, $70 million proposal the lefty received last year. According to a report from Nick Cafardo, Lester received a six-year offer from the Sox in the $110-120 million range.
Despite the report surfacing Wednesday morning the Red Sox made an offer to Lester, according to the report from WEEI, Lester received the Red Sox offer during his meeting with ownership earlier this week, and before his meeting Tuesday with the Cubs.
Jon Lester is scheduled to meet with the Braves on Thursday and it’s believed a meeting with the Cardinals will take place in the near future.
The Red Sox have made re-signing Jon Lester their top priority, even with wining and dining Pablo Sandoval.
Nick Cafardo is the only source of the Red Sox’s initial offer to Lester. Other reports out of Boston are indicating the offer to Lester was “aggressive.”
Estimates after the World Series pointed to Jon Lester receiving a six-year contract with an AAV in the $23 million range. If Cafardo’s numbers are correct, Boston’s initial offer is a little low, but Jon Lester has said that signing the biggest contract will not be the deciding factor for him and his family.
Updated 7:15pm CDT – According to a report from WEEI, the Red Sox “have made it clear there will be a willingness to negotiate with Jon Lester.” Rob Bradford was told by a source “the team’s initial off-season proposal was part of a more complex discussion about potential contract parameters.”