ESPN’s Keith Law posted his latest mock draft with just over 48 hours before the First-Year Player draft begins (Thursday, June 5). And like Jim Callis, Keith Law has the Cubs selecting OF Michael Conforto with the fourth pick in the draft if Brady Aiken and Carlos Rodon are off the board.
Law does not think the Cubs will take RHP Jeff Hoffman or SS Nick Gordon with the fourth pick in the draft. Law called C Max Pentecost a long-shot for the Cubs at No. 4. Law did not rule out the Cubs taking RHP Aaron Nola of LHP Kyle Freeland.
The Cubs would like to take a college arm with the fourth pick and one without an injury history. That would rule out RHP Jeff Hoffman and both of the high school arms, LHP Brady Aiken and RHP Tyler Kolek. Most think Aaron Nola would not be a typical fourth pick in the draft because scouts do not see a high-ceiling with Nola, but he could be a very reliable starter for a long time in the big leagues.
OF Michael Conforto and RHP Aaron Nola are two of the three finalists for the Golden Spikes Award.
Keith Law’s latest mock draft has LHP Brady Aiken going to the Astros, LHP Carlos Rodon to the Marlins and RHP Tyler Kolek to the White Sox. The rest of the top 10 on Law’s mock draft are Nick Gordon (Twins), Alex Jackson (Mariners), Aaron Nola (Phillies), Kyle Schwarber (Rockies), Touki Toussaint (Blue Jays) and Sean Newcomb (Mets). Law has Jeff Hoffman gong to the Jays with the 11th pick.
RHP Jack Flaherty
Keith Law also reported the Cubs are “one of several teams” hoping they can land RHP Jack Flaherty with a later pick. Flaherty was a third baseman before this spring and the high schooler from California pitched his way to a late-first round or early-second round pick in the upcoming draft. Flaherty is 6-foot-3, 217 pounds and throws in the upper-80s to lower-90s with the frame to add more velocity. Flaherty has a four-pitch mix that includes a change-up that projects as plus to plus-plus and a slider with plus potential.
2014 Draft Info
- Three Mock Drafts, Three Possible Picks for the Cubs
- Player Profile: Alex Jackson
- Player Profile: Kyle Freeland
- Player Profile: Aaron Nola
- Jason McLeod Discussed the Cubs and the Upcoming Draft on the MLB Network
- Three Possible Position Players for the Cubs in the Latest Mock Drafts
- Player Profile: Max Pentecost
- Player Profile: Tyler Beede
- Player Profile: Nick Gordon
- Baseball America’s Latest Mock Draft Has Cubs Landing Carlos Rodon
- Player Profile: Michael Conforto
- MLB Pipeline and Baseball America Mock Drafts Have Cubs Selecting an Outfielder or a Pitcher