Game Eight: Cubs (2-5) vs. Pirates (5-2)
- Game Time – 7:05pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: WGN TV – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channels 184, 844
- Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Jason Hammel (1-0, 1.35/0.45/2.07) vs. Wandy Rodriguez (0-1, 4.50/1.00/4.12)
The Cubs and Pirates square off for the fifth time this season. And with each of the first four games have been decided by one run, tonight figures to be more of the same with a rematch of game three between Jason Hammel and Wandy Rodriguez.
Rick Renteria will run out his right handed lineup tonight. Mike Olt should be at third with Junior Lake in left, Justin Ruggiano in right, Darwin Barney at second and Emilio Bonifacio in center. It will be interesting to see if Renteria has John Baker catch Hammel again or if he goes with Welington Castillo tonight with Baker starting in the finale on Thursday afternoon.
Jason Hammel makes his Wrigley Field debut tonight. Hammel has not started a game at Wrigley in his career. Hammel was very good in his Cubs debut last week and he should have a slightly different game plan going in considering he will be facing the same lineup he did last Thursday.
And tonight it all starts with Jason Hammel …
Jason Hammel was very good last Thursday in Pittsburgh. Hammel limited the Pirates to one run on two hits with one walk and five strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings. The run charged to Hammel scored after he left the game and it was by the only batter he walked all afternoon. Hammel found a rhythm early and that will be a key for his success tonight.
Jason Hammel makes his fifth career start against the Pirates tonight. Hammel is 3-1 in five appearances, four starts, versus the Bucs with a 3.62 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP.
Pirates Career Numbers against Jason Hammel
- Travis Ishikawa: 2-for-16
- Russell Martin: 1-for-13 with one walk
- Andrew McCutchen: 3-for-12 with one home run
- Pedro Alvarez: 1-for-8 with one home run and one walk
- Neil Walker: 2-for-7 with one walk
- Wandy Rodriguez: 2-for-6
- Gaby Sanchez: 1-for-7 with one home run
- Jose Tabata: 1-for-4
- Starling Marte: 0-for-3
- Travis Snider: 1-for-3
- Clint Barmes: 0-for-2
- Jordy Mercer: 0-for-2
- Tony Sanchez: 0-for-2
The Cubs jumped on Wandy Rodriguez early in the game last Thursday and scored three runs on five hits with one walk. Rodriguez struck out five batters in six innings. The Cubs took advantage of a rusty Rodriguez, but he figures to be much better tonight.
Wandy Rodriguez is 9-8 in 25 career starts against the Cubs with a 3.63 ERA and a 1.26 WHIP … at Wrigley Field, Rodriguez is 3-5 in 13 career starts with a 4.70 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP.
Cubs Career Numbers against Wandy Rodriguez
- Starlin Castro: 5-for-28 with three walks
- Darwin Barney: 7-for-22 with two walks
- Emilio Bonifacio: 5-for-17 with one double and two walks
- Anthony Rizzo: 4-for-13 with one walk
- Welington Castillo: 3-for-9
- Jason Hammel: 0-for-9
- Justin Ruggiano: 1-for-8 with one home run
- John Baker: 0-for-4
- Junior Lake: 0-for-3
- Nate Schierholtz: 0-for-3
- Luis Valbuena: 1-for-3
- Mike Olt: 1-for-2 with one home run
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …