The Cubs announced the fourth round of spring roster cuts Tuesday afternoon. Arodys Vizcaino, Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, Zac Rosscup and Christian Villanueva were optioned to Triple-A Iowa. Mitch Maier, Rafael Lopez and Armando Rivero were reassigned to minor league camp.
With Tuesday’s roster cuts, the Cubs spring roster officially stands at 45 players.
Tuesday’s spring roster cuts should not come as a surprise. Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters need time in the minors to try to get their careers back on track. While Jackson has shown signs of improvement, Vitters has not this spring. Zac Rosscup and Christian Villanueva will get the development time at Triple-A Iowa.
Rafael Lopez and Armando Rivero were reassigned to minor league camp, along with OF Mitch Maier. Maier has not played in a Spring Training game, he has been dealing with a back issue.
Spring Roster Moves
Optioned to the Minors
- Arismendy Alcantara, IF (Triple-A)
- Logan Watkins, IF (Triple-A)
- Matt Szczur, OF (Triple-A)
- Dallas Beeler, RHP (Triple-A)
- Jorge Soler, OF (Double-A)
- Arodys Vizcaino, RHP (Triple-A)
- Brett Jackson, OF (Triple-A)
- Josh Vitters, OF/IF (Triple-A)
- Zac Rosscup, LHP (Triple-A)
- Christian Villanueva, 3B (Triple-A)
Reassigned to Minor League Camp
- Kris Bryant, 3B
- Albert Almora, OF
- Carlos Pimentel, RHP
- Jeudy Valdez, IF
- Marcus Hatley, RHP
- Eric Jokisch, LHP
- Kyle Hendricks, RHP
- Rafael Lopez, C
- Armando Rivero, RHP
- Mitch Maier, OF
- Aaron Cunningham, OF