Game One Hundred Fifty-Three: Cubs (63-89) vs. Brewers (68-83)
- Game Time – 1:10pm CDT
- Coverage – TV: WGN TV – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channels 185/844
- Location – Miller Park, Milwaukee
Jake Arrieta (2-2, 4.42/1.24/5.25) vs. Kyle Lohse (10-9, 3.46/1.20/4.10)
The Cubs wrap up their three-city, 11-game road trip this afternoon with the series and season series finale against the Brewers. After winning three of the first five on the trip, the Cubs have lost their last five games and will give the ball to Jake Arrieta to try to salvage at least one game in Milwaukee. Arrieta started the last game the Cubs won.
The Cubs have played really bad baseball against the Brewers over the last two seasons and are just 5-13 versus Milwaukee this year. Thankfully the Cubs will not see the Brewers again until the Cactus League next spring.
While the Cubs are building the system, the Major League team needs to learn how to play better against teams in their division. The Cubs enter play this afternoon a season-worst 26 games under .500 and 23-46 versus the NL Central. The Cubs are 40-43 against the rest of baseball.
The final game of the year against the Brewers and on the 11-game road trip all starts with Jake Arrieta …
Which Jake Arrieta will show up today? Arrieta has excellent stuff, and once again, if the Cubs can somehow get him to throw strikes on a consistent basis they will have a top of the rotation arm for the next several years.
Jake Arrieta has been both excellent and not-so-good during his short-time in a Cubs’ uniform. Arrieta is coming off a no decision against the Pirates in a game that he allowed four runs, three earned, on six hits in five innings. The Pirates hit back-to-back-to-back longballs off Arrieta that accounted for three of the four runs. Arrieta issued one free pass, but more importantly the Cubs won the game.
Jake Arrieta makes his eighth start for Dale Sveum this afternoon. The Cubs are 3-4 in his seven starts and he is 1-1 in his last three games with a 4.32 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP.
This afternoon will be Arrieta’s third start of the season against the Brewers. Arrieta made his Cubs’ debut at Wrigley in the second game of the twin bill then faced the Brewers on September 7 and allowed four runs on three hits in five innings. Arrieta is 0-1 in the two starts versus Milwaukee with a 4.09 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP.
Brewers Career Numbers against Jake Arrieta
- Jonathan Lucroy – 1-for-6
- Logan Schafer – 2-for-3 with a double, a triple and a walk
- Yuniesky Betancourt – 0-for-4
- Juan Francisco – 1-for-3 with a home run
- Scooter Gennett – 1-for-4
- Norichika Aoki – 0-for-2 with a walk
- Jeff Bianchi – 0-for-3
- Carlos Gomez – 0-for-1 with two walks
- Aramis Ramirez – 0-for-2 with a walk
- Jean Segura – 0-for-3
- Caleb Gindl – 0-for-1 with a walk
Kyle Lohse followed up his bad start against the Cubs with a nine-inning gem against the Reds. Lohse allowed one run on four hits with a walk and five strikeouts to the Reds and kinda showed why the Brewers gave up so much for him last off-season.
After a tremendous July in which Lohse posted a 4-1 record in six starts with a 2.25 ERA and a 0.95 WHIP, he has really been Kyle Lohse over his last eight starts. Lohse has the ability of looking like a number one starter one outing, then the next he can look like a fifth starter on a winning team.
Kyle Lohse has been very good at Miller Park (7-3 in 15 starts with a 2.85 ERA and a 1.13 WHIP) and he will face the Cubs for the fourth time on the season. Lohse is 1-1 in his first three outings against the Cubs this year with a 5.00 ERA and a 1.56 WHIP.
Cubs Numbers against Kyle Lohse in 2013
- Darwin Barney (.224) – 2-for-8 with a walk
- Welington Castillo (.345) – 2-for-8 with two doubles and a walk
- Anthony Rizzo (.249) – 5-for-8 with two doubles and a walk
- Nate Schierholtz (.271) – 3-for-9 with a double and a home run
- Luis Valbuena (.238) – 2-for-7
- Starlin Castro (.289) – 1-for-6
- Junior Lake (.389) – 3-for-6 with a home run
- Ryan Sweeney (.288) – 2-for-5 with a double and a walk
- Donnie Murphy (.276) – 1-for-3
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …