The Cubs made their first two selections in the 2013 First Year Player Draft on Thursday night. The Cubs surprised some by making power hitting third baseman Kris Bryant from the University of San Diego their first round pick. Bryant has legitimate, projectable power and the Cubs see him sticking at third base and not having to move positions.
According to reports, the Cubs had RHP Mark Appel and Kris Bryant at the top of their draft board. When the Astros made Appel the top pick in the draft, the Cubs selected Bryant. The Cubs did not use their first round pick on a pitcher but as expected shifted their attention to adding pitching to the system with their second round pick.
The Cubs selected LHP Rob Zastryzny from the University of Missouri in the second round, 41st overall pick. Zastryzny was thought to be a late second round, early third round pick at one point but reportedly impressed scouts by touching 95 mph with his fastball during the SEC Tournament.
The second day of the draft begins at 11:30am CDT on Friday. Rounds 3-10 take place on Friday and the draft concludes Saturday at 12:00pm with rounds 11-40.
The Cubs have eight total picks on Friday beginning with the 75th overall pick in the third round. The Cubs pick again in the fourth round with the 108th overall selection then every 30 picks afterwards for rounds 5-40.
The CCO will add the players the Cubs’ select on the second day in the draft to this report. Check back on Friday for updates as the picks are announced.
Day 2 of the 2013 Draft
- Cubs selected CF Jacob Hannemann from Brigham Young in the 3rd round (75th overall)
- Cubs selected RHP Tyler Skulina from Kent State in the 4th round (108th overall)
- Cubs selected RHP Trey Masek from Texas Tech in the 5th round (138th overall)
- Cubs selected RHP Scott Frazier from Pepperdine University in the 6th round (168th overall)
- Cubs selected RHP David Garner from Michigan State in the 7th round (198th overall)
- Cubs selected LHP Sam Wilson from Lamar Community College in the 8th round (228th overall)
- Cubs selected CF Charcer Burks from William B Travis HS in TX in the 9th round (258th overall), first HS player taken by Cubs in draft
- Cubs selected RHP Zachary Godley from the University of Tennessee in the 10th round (288th overall)