It’s Friday, it is time to ramble, and I have enlisted the help of fellow Cubs fan Ben Miraski this week. I thought I could bring some more views to the ramblings edition. Plus, he is not nearly as optimistic as I am. And this column needs some balance every now and again.
So, let’s get to it.
- So, Barney is having a Theriot-esque slide regarding his batting average. I hope I am wrong.
- C.J. Wilson supposedly wants $100 million. Personally, at this point, I feel that is a better investment than Pujols or Fielder.
- There is no two ways about it; the Cubs need pitching. And a lot of it.
- Bryan LaHair is not the future. I highly doubt it, but he would be a very cheap option at first base if the Cubs chose to pursue Wilson. Just a thought.
- Reed Johnson deserves to be with the Cubs again next year. I’m just saying. I know this will irk many of you, but he earned it.
- Give me your prediction below. Here is mine: Zambrano pitches for whatever team Ozzie is managing next year. It is hard to envision any other scenario.
- Will a new GM eat Soriano’s salary? I don’t see it happening. However, I hope that is a large point of discussion during Ricketts’ interviews. It would be nice to see more forward thinking from Mr. Tom.
- I asked for a little pop from Castro in the second half. And guess what, we got a little pop. With that said, I will ask for even more pop throughout the entire 2012 season.
- Speaking of Castro, I am loving his 20 SB’s. I hope to see even more next year.
- Yes, I am asking for Castro to keep getting better. The funny this is that as a Cubs fan, this seems crazy. Yet, with Castro, it appears likely, and that is a wonderful thing.
- Twitter is a great thing when used responsibly. Responsibly being the key word. Thanks to Twitter many Cubs fans were scared that Chuck Lamar could be the next GM.
- Dusty Baker still makes news when he comes back to Chicago. Let’s turn the page, people. It has been long enough.
- Jeff Samardzija has had a very good, and might I even say, promising year. Yes, I am a Notre Dame fan.
- Speaking of, many national pundits have discussed how ND hasn’t won forever. In fact, Greg Couch, pointed out on Thursday that is has been 23 years. An eternity according to most.
- As a Cubs fan, 23 years feels as long as your average All-Star break.
- The 2005 draft for the Cubs was so bad …
- “How bad was it?”
- It was so bad that it was just ranked dead last for that year. Mark Pawelek, Donald Veal, Dylan Johnston, Michael Billek, etc.
- In 2005, the Cubs drafted 50 players. According to the experts, one of those 50 made the majors.
- How do you spell completely and ridiculously sad and pathetic?
- Matt Garza has 8 wins. Matt Garza has a 3.52 ERA. I feel bad for Matt Garza. I look for him to have a few very good season for the Cubs.
- The Cubs closer has a 4.07 ERA and 9 blown saves. Enough said.
- Ryan Dempster leads all Cubs pitchers with 10 wins.
- Oh, yeah, he also has 11 losses. This stat kind of sums up the season pretty well right there.
- Getting rid of Ramirez makes sense. However, I have no idea who will replace him. Interesting quandary. Maybe even a quagmire … giggity.
- Carlos Pena hit a homerun off of a left-handed pitcher. I didn’t know he was allowed to do that.
- John Grabow will not be a Cub next year. So, it is not all negative in Wrigleyville.
Let’s get the comments rolling. It is only the fun thing to do. And it just feels right. And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!