With just over 90 days until pitchers and catchers report, the hot stove is about to step it up to a strong simmer before the full-blown boil of the Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Some refer to it as Disney World.
During Hendry’s tenure, the Cubs have been players in the off-season, but with many assuming 2011 is going to be a wash, fans are hoping the water is nothing more than room temperature.
With all of those analogies off of the table, it is time for me to unleash my rambling stream of consciousness on all things Cubs.
- Ryan Dempster is going to win 17 games next season with single-digit losses. With Lee and Lilly gone, Demp is the unquestioned clubhouse leader. Look for him to step up.
- Whoever fabricated Wednesday afternoon’s trade rumor involving Kosuke and Daisuke was sitting back, sipping his cerveza and laughing his ass off. I loved how fast that got around.
- What a joke. Too good. To the person who made it up. Congrats. Job well done and well played.
- Oh wait, that was Phil Rogers?
- So it was a joke to begin with? Never mind, then.
- When I heard Bruce Levine say that the Cubs would not have enough money to sign Adam Dunn, I about lost it.
- Happiness and joy cannot possibly begin to describe my emotional state. It was so much more than that.
- And then it had to be ruined with all of this Carlos Pena talk.
- Fine, but only for ONE year. No more.
- Someone on the CCO mentioned Boras’ desire for slumping clients to sign one-year deals to improve their values. I laughed when the same person said Hendry would still try to sign him to a multi-year contract.
- Good stuff.
- So, Tom … public money for a team that hasn’t won in 102 years?
- Sure, no one is going to be up in arms over this new idea of yours.
- Then again, I am all for it. Get it anyway you can, bud! Why the heck not!?!
- If you take the money out of the equation, you have to think Marlon Byrd is wondering what he signed up for. This cannot be it.
- Then again, no one knew who Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith were in the winter of ’88. So, anything can happen, right?
- Do you like how I just snuck in a bit of optimism to this post? I know, I am one clever you-know-what.
- Starlin Castro is going to be a player we talk about for years on end. This kid is awesome.
- He was truly overshadowed by the likes of Buster Posey and Jason Heyward, but he should not be overlooked. He will be a perennial all-star soon. Book it.
- So … did anyone hear the latest trade rumor?
- Yea, I heard it is going to be Ichiro for Fukudome, straight up!
Well, that is about it for now. Let me know your thoughts below.
Take care, Faithful. And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans