With the Texas Rangers advancing to the ALCS on Tuesday night, both championship series are set to begin this weekend. Will it be the Yankees or Rangers representing the American League? Can the Giants out pitch the Phillies?
So while the Baseball World ponders those questions, and hundreds of others between now and Friday night, here are a few Cubs rumors … including the latest from Bruce Levine.
Chatting with Mr. Levine
Bruce Levine held his weekly chat Tuesday afternoon. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Eric Wedge is in the running for the Pirates and Blue Jays jobs as well.
- The Cubs will make Adam Dunn a “high” priority this winter. Levine is concerned about his defense but signing Dunn “would be a statement to Cubs fans that they are trying to compete and win.”
- Alan Trammell is not a big league manager in the Cubs’ eyes and “will most likely be moving on.”
- Levine mentioned Orlando Hudson as a possibility for the Cubs again but he thinks they will more than likely begin the season with Blake DeWitt as their second baseman.
- Levine has not heard any possibilities to fill the Cubs’ leadoff spot for 2011 yet.
- Levine is not sure if Derrek Lee will play again due to all of the injuries he’s sustained.
- The Cubs plans for Wrigley 2014 “seem to be somewhat on hold right now.” Levine pointed to the “dwindling turnstile” last season as one of the reasons. The Ricketts family still plans to complete all of the projects “it might take a little longer period of time to get it all done.”
- There is still a possibility that Tyler Colvin could end up at first base.
- The Cubs do not appear to have the payroll to get an impact hitter and an impact pitcher through free agency.
- No one knows if Josh Vitters is the Cubs’ third baseman of the future. According to Levine, Vitters’ play last season “was somewhat stagnant.” Vitters could end up at first base.
- Randy Wells told Levine at the end of the season “that his commitment to being a better pitcher is priority for him.”
- Kerry Wood “is always a welcome idea at Wrigley Field” but Levine would “be shocked” if the Yankees do not offer him a new contract.”
- During Talkin’ Baseball (ESPN 1000) last Saturday, from what Bruce Levine understands Ryne Sandberg would name Larry Bowa his bench coach if he gets the Cubs’ job.
- Jon Paul Morosi tweeted Tuesday night that he is hearing Don Wakamatsu remains a candidate to land the Cubs, as well as the Blue Jays, job
Well, that is the latest … and I’m sticking to it!