Game Seventy-Three: Cubs (32-40) vs. White Sox (37-34)
Game Time – 3:10pm CDT
Coverage – TV: Comcast SportsNet, WGN TV (White Sox) – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 176
Location – U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago
Carlos Zambrano (3-5, 5.10/1.65) vs. Jake Peavy (6-5, 5.07/1.26)
Updated – 12:08pm CDT – Aramis Ramirez Activated – Chad Tracy DFA’d
When the Cubs and White Sox met for the first round of the Crosstown Series back on June 11, they had very similar records. The Cubs were 27-33 and the Sox were 26-33 at the time. The Sox took two of three from the Cubs and have not looked back.
The White Sox have won 13 of 14 and nine in a row. Ozzie’s bunch enters play today with a 37-34 record, just 2 ½ games back of the division leading Minnesota Twins. What a difference two weeks and playing good baseball can make.
The Cubs enter play this afternoon 7-8 in Interleague action this season … with three games against the Sox remaining on the schedule. But the Sox are 13-2 against the Senior Circuit and have clearly shown they are built for the wrong league.
The pitching match-ups for the remainder of the series … Carlos Silva will face Freddy Garcia Saturday night and Ryan Dempster and John Danks are scheduled to square off in the series and season finale Sunday afternoon.
Aramis Ramirez is expected to be activated from the 15-day DL today. The speculation is the Cubs will DFA either Chad Tracy or Jeff Baker to make room for Ramirez. Both Tracy and Baker are out of minor league options.
The Sox won round one (2-1) and the Cubs jump started their winning ways, it is time for Lou’ crew to repay the favor. It’s the Cubs versus White Sox … and it all starts with Carlos Zambrano. Carlos Zambrano is coming off his best outing in well over a year. Zambrano was dominant in the Cubs only win over the Angels last weekend. Z pitched seven strong innings, his longest outing of the season, and allowed just one run on eight hits with a walk and seven strikeouts. Z also picked up a couple of hits, one from each side of the plate.
The Cubs will need a similar performance from Zambrano this afternoon in order to cool off the White Sox.
Zambrano did not face the Sox in the first series of the season two weeks ago. Z is 5-3 in 11 career starts, 13 games, with a 4.56 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP. At the Cell, Z is 2-2 in six games, five starts, with a 4.96 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP.
White Sox Career Numbers against Carlos Zambrano
- Gordon Beckham – 2-for-3 with a walk
- Andruw Jones – 3-for-20 with a double, a home run and 7 walks
- Paul Konerko – 8-for-28 with a double, 4 home runs and 3 walks
- Mark Kotsay – 1-for-8 with a walk
- Juan Pierre – 7-for-32 with a double and 5 walks
- A.J. Pierzynski – 6-for-20 with a home run and 3 walks
- Alexei Ramirez – 3-for-7 with 2 home runs
- Omar Vizquel – 3-for-13 with a double and a walk
Jake Peavy has proved with his last two starts that he is a National League pitcher. After struggling through the first nine weeks of the season, Peavy has looked the player the Cubs should have traded for in December of 2008.
Peavy followed up his seven-inning dominance against the Cubs on June 11 (two runs on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts) with a complete game shutout in D.C. against the Nationals. Peavy surrendered just three hits with two walks and seven strikeouts. The Sox won 1-0.
Peavy is 2-1 in his last three starts with a 1.57 ERA and a 0.83 WHIP.
The former NL Cy Young Award winner is 2-3 in six starts on the South Side this season with a 4.82 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.
Can the Cubs find a way to beat Jake Peavy this afternoon? Today will mark his 10th career start versus the Cubs. Peavy is 4-2 in the first nine with a 2.72 ERA and a 1.26 WHIP.
Cubs Career Numbers against Jake Peavy
- Marlon Byrd – 2-for-5 with a double
- Starlin Castro – 0-for-3
- Tyler Colvin – 1-for-1 with a double
- Mike Fontenot – 0-for-3 with a walk
- Kosuke Fukudome – 4-for-10 with 3 doubles and 2 walks
- Koyie Hill – 1-for-6
- Derrek Lee – 3-for-20 with 2 doubles and 3 walks
- Xavier Nady – 1-for-5
- Aramis Ramirez – 5-for-17 with a double and a home run
- Alfonso Soriano – 7-for-19 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 2 walks
- Geovany Soto – 2-for-4 with a walk
- Ryan Theriot – 2-for-14 with a walk
- Chad Tracy – 10-for-50 with 3 doubles, a triple, 2 home runs and 3 walks
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …