Game Twenty-One: Cubs (10-10) vs. Nationals (10-10)
Game Time – 7:05pm CDT
Coverage – TV: WCIU – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 185
Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Tom Gorzelanny (0-2, 2.40/1.07) vs. Livan Hernandez (2-1, 0.75/0.83)
Can the Cubs get over the hump tonight against Livan Hernandez and the Nationals?
Lou Piniella mentioned on Monday he would like to get Xavier Nady a few at bats against right-handed pitching. Tonight might be a good time to do so.
Derrek Lee could probably use a break and his career numbers against Livan Hernandez are not that good (8-for-36 with 2 doubles, a triple, a home run and 3 walks). While Lee struggles, Xavier Nady (5-for-12 with a double and a home run) has had success against the veteran right-hander …
Marlon Byrd put the Cubs’ fourth win in a row in proper perspective. Byrd said, “We can’t get excited just about four. We need to rattle off a couple more, get above .500 and keep going.”
First things first and that means beating Livan Hernandez …
Gorzelanny is coming off a loss to the Mets and the Cubs are 0-3 in his three starts this season. The Mets scored four runs, two earned, on four hits in 5 2/3 innings. Gorzelanny walked two and struck out seven. He showed good command and velocity for a majority of the night.
The Cubs “other lefty in the rotation” is 3-1 in six career games, two starts, against the Washington Nationals with a 5.29 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP.
Nationals’ Career Numbers against Tom Gorzelanny
- Adam Dunn – 2-for-5 with 2 walks
- Cristian Guzman – 2-for-5
- Willie Harris – 0-for-3
- Wil Nieves – 1-for-3 with a double and a walk
- Ivan Rodriguez – 0-for-4
- Willy Taveras – 3-for-10 with a walk
- Josh Willingham – 2-for-7 with a home run
- Ryan Zimmerman – 3-for-4 with a double and a walk
Livan Hernandez is off to a great start to the year. The veteran right-hander has shutdown the Mets, Brewers and Rockies … and tossed a complete game shutout against the Brewers on April 17. Milwaukee managed four hits and two walks in Hernandez’s nine-inning gem.
To say Hernandez has found the fountain of youth would be an understatement.
Hernandez has been a thorn in the Cubs’ side for many years. He is 10-6 in 20 career starts versus the Cubs with a 3.97 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP … at Wrigley, 4-3 in 10 career starts with a 2.93 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP.
Cubs’ Career Numbers against Livan Hernandez
- Jeff Baker – 3-for-7 with 2 doubles
- Marlon Byrd – 9-for-23 with a double and 2 walks
- Kosuke Fukudome – 1-for-2 with a double and a walk
- Koyie Hill – 1-for-1 with a walk
- Derrek Lee – 8-for-36 with 2 doubles, a triple, a home run and 3 walks
- Xavier Nady – 5-for-12 with a double and a home run
- Aramis Ramirez – 11-for-29 with 3 doubles and 4 home runs
- Ryne Sandberg – 1-for-3
- Alfonso Soriano – 4-for-15
- Ryan Theriot – 0-for-3
- Chad Tracy – 4-for-17 with 2 home runs and 3 walks
- Carlos Zambrano – 1-for-4 with a double
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …