The Cubs beat the A’s on Thursday at HoHoKam Park, 9-3. It was a beautiful day for baseball … and the Cubs’ offense pounded the ball.
Granted it was just an exhibition game, but to see the Cubs on the field after such a long winter was more than a welcomed sight to see.
The Cubs are back … and the CCO caught some of the first game on video, including Derrek Lee’s home run, Marlon Byrd’s first Cubs’ at bat, Xavier Nady and Starlin Castro. The CCO will post a full recap of Thursday’s game, but here are a few observations.
- Xavier Nady is expected to start on Saturday as the Cubs’ designated hitter. Nady hit bombs in batting practice on Thursday. Nady also sprayed the ball to all fields with authority.
- Chad Tracy looked good in batting practice, hit the ball hard.
- Tyler Colvin was extremely impressive in batting practice before his 3-for-3 afternoon. Colvin hit the ball with power to all fields, especially center. Hit a BP pitch from Ryne Sandberg into the visitor’s bullpen beyond the right field wall.
- Carlos Silva was working out with Carlos Zambrano. Could really tell how much work Zambrano put in during the off-season. Carlos Silva is a very big man.
- Aramis Ramirez and Starlin Castro loosened up together before the game … the future left side of the Cubs’ infield?
- Marlon Byrd ran very well from first to third on Tyler Colvin’s double in the first.
- Starlin Castro was very smooth at shortstop on Thursday … extremely strong arm.
- Starlin Castro’s triple to right center one-hopped the wall. When the ball hit the wall, Castro was already on second base.
- Angel Guzman was spotted shagging balls during batting practice on Thursday.
- Ted Lilly made an appearance during batting practice on Thursday.
- Brad Snyder’s home run was one of the longest I’ve ever seen at HoHoKam Park. Granted the wind was blowing out, but Snyder’s blast went 3/4 of the way up the berm, clearing both bullpens over the right field wall.
- The two best defensive plays on Thursday belonged to Derrek Lee.
The Cubs take the Field
The First Pitch of the Spring
The Bottom of the First – Derrek Lee’s Home Run
Marlon Byrd’s First At Bat – Tyler Colvin’s First Double
Xavier Nady – Kevin Millar Batting Practice
Starlin Castro in the Field
Starlin Castro’s first at bat as a Cub
Chad Tracy’s first at bat as a Cub
Check back for a full recap from Thursday’s Spring Training Opener …