According to a report from the Sun-Times, the Cubs revised plan for Wrigley Field is expected to be on the Landmarks Commission agenda for July 10 and Landmarks will approve the team’s new plan that includes seven outfield signs and two video scoreboards. The Cubs removed the expansion of the proposed bullpen doors and that small change appears to have pleased Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Landmarks Commission.
Fran Spielman talked with Julian Green, the Cubs spokesman, about the situation earlier this week.
Green said, “We’re not prepared to lose another year and jeopardize delivering on the promises we made to our players, out fans and out [advertising] partners. We believe the revised expansion plan fits within the guidelines of the Landmarks Commission. We’re confident we’ve addressed all of the outstanding issues and should be going through with our revised plan on July 10. We took the widening of the bullpen doors off the table. The only material change was those doors.”
Part of the Cubs revised plans to restore, renovate and expand Wrigley Field is moving the bullpens from the current, and traditional, locations in foul territory in left and right field to underneath the bleachers. The Cubs proposed expanding the size of the opening that will be created when the metal doors are removed to add visibility for the pitchers warming up in the bullpens. The Cubs cannot touch the bricks, ivy or outfield doors without approval from the Landmarks Commission. And the expansion of the proposed doors was not in the revised plans the Cubs worked on with the City. The size change on the doors caught the Mayor off guard and the meeting with the Landmarks Commission was pushed back for a month.
Fran Spielman contacted Ryan McLaughlin, a spokesman for the Wrigleyville Rooftop Association, he had no comment about the Cubs meeting with Landmarks next week or the lawsuit being dropped against Marc Ganis. The rooftops filed a lawsuit against Ganis, a stadium financing consultant who once advised the Cubs’ prior owner, the Tribune Co. According to the report, the rooftops “accused Marc Ganis of making false and defamatory statements about them, in violation of their revenue-sharing agreement.”
Wrigley Field Restoration Updates
- Cubs Moving Forward with Wrigley Field Restoration Plans – May 22
- Ald. Tunney and the Neighborhood React to Ricketts Announcement – May 23
- Cubs Release New Renderings, Plan to Start on Clubhouse in July – May 28
- Mayor Says Cubs Not Ready to Meet with Landmarks Commission – May 28
- Crane Kenney Discusses the Latest Issues with the Wrigley Field Restoration – May 29
- Rooftops Preparing for Legal Action – June 3