Hello again, everybody. There was much ado about something this week at Wrigley as the Cubs hosted a team that is supposedly worse than them. The series got off to a good start, but things turned sour quickly and a big ole birthday cake ended up in the dumpster. So, on that random note, let’s get to some rambling.
- Speaking of the Cubs dumpster, is there a more controversial dumpster in all of pro sports?
- I mean this is the second Cubs dumpster debacle in a short while. And when the materials in your dumpster are making this much noise, well, that is just not good.
- This is the first time I have used the word dumpster in an article three times when none of the mentions were in reference to beloved former Cub, Ryan Dempster.
- Oh, this column is supposed to be about actual baseball occurrences? My bad.
- I have gone on the record here multiple times saying that my heart said Jeff Samardzija would be on the Northside for a long time to come.
- My heart is a damn lout. And in the words of the Southside Batting Glove, “He gone” … The Shark, that is.
- And to clarify, that is not a compliment to The Southside Batting Glove. Wow, I kind of impressed myself with that nickname.
- Since the All-Star break, Hector Rondon has pitched 36.3 innings with a 2.45 ERA, a 1.12 WHIP, and .200 BAA and 32 K’s. That is pretty solid.
- And a Rule 5 pick to boot. I love when Rule-5 picks are debated. David Patton was going to be a revelation. Rondon was a reach. Espouse on, my friends.
- Any good company knows the importance of marketing, advertising and putting on a show. And I am a Ricketts backer, but making the ushers wear birthday party hats was just a joke.
- Actually, I initially thought it was the work of Photoshop when I first saw it on twitter. But no, it was real. All … too … real.
- I really like the Chi Feds jerseys. I had seen them before, but they were quite good and visually appealing.
- For a while I have been thinking that the Cubs need to totally overhaul their jerseys. Start fresh. Go against the grain. Change it up. Be drastic. Think outside the box. I am quickly running out of corporate buzzwords here.
- But if they piggyback off of some ideas, and really look at it from a 30,000-foot view, they could come up with some robust plans.
- If you think I am completely insane on introducing a whole new look, let me know. If you agree, please say so. Let’s start from scratch with this thing.
- What is with the Cubs ability to sign above average relievers who stop being able to get anyone out the moment they put on the aforementioned Cubs uniform? Veras is the latest example. Anyone want to talk about Mel Rojas?
- I like that Renteria had a quick hook with Veras, though he seems to have softened lately on the topic. I also really like that Ramirez and Rosscup were called up. Give people opportunities. Also, it should be noted that three guys from the Garza trade are currently on the big-league roster.
- A baseball stadium had a birthday party this week. I would never claim I have seen it all because I haven’t. But when I’m nearing the end (and I pray that is not for many decades) this “birthday celebration” will be one of the things I tell people I saw.
- Here’s hoping Bosio can do with Hammel what he did with Feldman. Feldman arrived in Chicago as a journeyman a year ago, and received a $30 million contract in the offseason. That is solid work by Bosio, and I hope Feldman threw a little Bosio’s way.
- While it hasn’t reached DeRo level yet, my man crush on Olt is growing. While his .184 average is not good, he is less than a year away from being an afterthought of the Rangers. I think this kid has something. And I hope I am right.
That is all for now. Again, please let me know your thoughts on changing up the Cubs unis. Is it a ludicrous idea? Am I an idiot? I really like the idea of going for broke on something new, but then again, I could be so very wrong. I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend.
And until next time … Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!