Hello again, everybody. The playoffs are heating up, but I am more interested in the steam that should be rising from the hot stove very soon. Sure, the pilot light has yet to be lit, but we are very close, and I can taste the yummy deliciousness said stove is going to produce.
While the MLB is still waiting for a 2013 champion, the Cubs are moving forward to determine the make-up of their 2014 installment. Many parts are moving at once, but that, among other things, is what makes the off-season much more enjoyable.
So let’s go rambling and see what happens.
- Rick Renteria? Dave Martinez? A.J Hinch? Manny Acta?
- I am really not sure how I feel about any of those names. Please, oh please, neither of the last two.
- If I had to choose, I would pick Martinez. And he would have to be given jersey number “1.” Not only did I love watching him run the bases as a Cub while growing up, he is also a Joe Maddon guy. Right now, I go with the Joe Maddon guy.
- I would like to know how much money people have made telling the story of the unluckiest Cubs’ fan in the history of the world. The documentaries will just not stop.
- Wherever he is, I hope Steve Bartman can be happy. I feel so bad for the guy. If you still blame him, please let me know below. I will take a great deal of joy from telling you how and why you are an imbecile.
- I also love people telling him what he should do, why he should talk, what he should say, etc … if you can’t empathize, you shouldn’t speak. Also, no one can possibly empathize.
- Have you ever had a pizza bagel … more commonly known as a “’Za Bag?” They’re tasty, so very tasty, and while made in an oven, I hope the hot stove cooks up something as deliciously awesome as an “’Za Bag” this offseason.
- Yes, I am comparing free agents to pizza bagels. Ryan Sweeney is not a pizza bagel. He is a spring salad with rosemary vinaigrette.
- Sorry, I haven’t eaten dinner yet.
- So, Bridgeport just spent a ton of money on someone. Good for Bridgeport.
- Also, in regards to the off-season signing, please, just please, remember, that big-money deals do not pay off, nor do they mean anything big will happen.
- The honeymoon is over (yes, I know it never started with some of you), but signing a big name just to sign one is idiotic. Choo is not worth 9 figures.
- Very few, if any, really are. I really do not think Cano is either. In fact, outside of Verlander and Kershaw, no one really is.
- Adrian Gonzalez and Zack Greinke are about to lose to Daniel Descalso and Joe Kelly. Oh, that’s not fair? Sorry, Hanley Ramirez and Clayton Kershaw are about to lose to Matt Carpenter and Lance Lynn.
- Has the reverse-jinx set in yet? Should I keep going?
- Had Charlie Manuel not been fired … really, seriously … these things make you wonder about the Cubs next manager. And on that topic, what happened to Mike Maddux? Why is he not being considered?
- The AFL and Spring Training should create some great conversation about the next wave of talent. Baez went from a possible September call-up in ’14 to a player most expect to be on the squad and starting by mid-June.
- Kris Bryant was not in the organization five months ago, and could be starting for the big-league club ten months from now … we never know what is going to happen.
- The next big move for the Cubs is hiring a manager. Right now, statements, rumors, facts, and opinions are all over the map, no one really knows.
- I will leave you with this: Had Charlie Manuel not been fired …
The playoffs have been extremely entertaining, and I hope they continue to be. Every October I am reminded how much I love playoff baseball. Here’s to hoping the Cubs are a consistent part of that very, very soon.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!