The Cubs announced on Saturday that they signed right-handed pitcher Scott Frazier out of Pepperdine. According to Baseball America, Frazier received a $267,600 signing bonus, the Cubs sixth round pool amount for the 2013 draft.
Sam Wilson, the lefty from Lamar Community College in Colorado, announced on Twitter that he signed his contract with the Cubs.
The Cubs have signed nine of their first 10 picks from this year’s draft. The Cubs are hoping to have Kris Bryant under contract soon but reports have suggested it could take right up to the July 12 deadline before he is signed.
The Cubs also announced the signing of first baseman Kelvin Freeman, their 17th round pick from North Carolina A&T University. The Cubs have officially announced the signing of 13 players with more announcements expected in the coming days.
The college pitchers the Cubs selected in the draft are expected to be added to the Boise Hawks’ roster once the contracts are finalized and the players pass their physicals.
Scott Frazier is a big right-hander than can throw smoke. Frazier is 6-foot-7, 230 pounds and can touch 96 mph on the gun with his fastball. Frazier sits in the low-90s (91-93 mph) with his fastball that has late life. Frazier struggles with repeating his delivery and lacks command, which is not unusual for pitchers of Frazier’s size.
Frazier’s curveball flashes as a plus-pitch and he mixes in a changeup. The Cubs have a lot of work to do with Frazier to clean up his delivery. Frazier has been a starter but most scouts feel he will wind up as a reliever.
Sam Wilson could end up being a find as an eighth round pick. Wilson features a low-90s fastball but has touched 94 mph on the gun. Wilson throws a changeup, a slider as well as a curveball and is very athletic. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound southpaw posted an 11-2 record with a 1.34 ERA in 14 starts that included three complete games this past spring.
Most feel Wilson will get every opportunity to be a starter.
Chicago Cubs 2013 First-Year Player Draft Signings
- Second Round – LHP Rob Zastryzny – $1,100,000 ($1,361,900 pool amount)
- Third Round – OF Jacob Hannemann – $1,000,000 ($736,000 pool amount)
- Fourth Round – RHP Tyler Skulina – $800,000 ($477,300 pool amount)
- Fifth Round – RHP Trey Masek – $357,400 ($357,400 pool amount)
- Sixth Round – RHP Scott Frazier – $267,600 ($267,600 pool amount)
- Seventh Round – RHP David Garner – $200,400 ($200,400 pool amount)
- Eighth Round – LHP Sam Wilson – n/a ($159,400 pool amount)
- Ninth Round – OF Charcer Burks – $170,000 ($148,900 pool amount)
- Tenth Round – RHP Zack Godley – $35,000 ($139,000 pool amount)
- Eleventh Round – C Jordan Hankins
- Sixteenth Round – C Cael Brockmeyer
- Seventeenth Round – 1B Kelvin Freeman
- Eighteenth Round – SS Giuseppe Papaccio
- Twentieth Round – 2B Zak Blair
- Twenty Second Round – OF Kevin Brown
- Twenty Third Round – LHP Tyler Ihrig
- Thirtieth Round – RHP Zak Hermans
According to Baseball America’s numbers, the Cubs are currently $241,700 over budget on their 2013 bonus pool amount of $10,556,500..