Hello again everybody. Can you hit a baseball? Do you know how to swing a bat? Can you bunt … go the other way (opposite field that is, not that there is anything wrong with that) … get it deep enough with a guy on third?
If you can do just ONE of those things two out of ten times then you may actually have a chance to play for the Chicago Cubs!!
It’s Friday, the Cubs have lost five out of six after a very promising week, and not even the silver linings seem that bright right about now … so let’s get to some rambling.
- Another 8-inning masterpiece from Jeff Samardzija results in another Loss. Good times, Shark … Very good, times.
- Welcome back, Chin Salad! Nice to have you in the rotato again. Five innings, no runs, bullpen explosion. Yep, sounds like an average Tuesday night in Cubdom.
- It is May 24th and Cody Ransom is hitting .304 with 3 homers. Wait, what?
- Hey, Rizzo, this yo-yoing of your batting average is not so much fun to watch. Probably less fun to experience, I get that, but come on, let’s stick around .290 for more than a week!!
- David DeJesus is on pace to be the Cubs All-Star representative in July. Think about it. Go look at his numbers. His slash line is .296/. 363/. 507 with 5 HR, 16 RBI and 3 steals.
- Also, “Slash Line” sounds like something backstage at a GnR show in the 80’s. And let’s not even get into … never mind.
- He is the most complete player on the team right now. And to think how many people were disgusted with his signing at two years for $10 million, with a club option for next year.
- If you were upset about it, feel better. You were totally wrong, but feel better.
- Starlin needs to buck up and level out soon. He has shown zero improvement, and yes, he should continue to improve.
- I don’t know the kid, but it has always seemed like focus, or a lack of it, was his main issue. Sveum basically said it is up to the kid to improve. He has been a pro for three full years now.
- Guess what? The Cubs had the bases loaded with no outs on Wednesday night and didn’t score a run. Not only did Ronnie roll over in his grave, he yelled at Pat as well.
- Kevin Gregg: 12 G’s. 0.00 ERA. 6 for 6 Saves. Yep, called it in March, right along with Louisville winning the tourney and Urlacher retiring.
- And back into last place. Just when the Cubs had me thinking they could be a third-and-a-half-place team, they went and brought me back to reality. Good times.
- My favorite stat: Alfonso Soriano leads the Cubs with five stolen bases. I think, in a way, that sums it up just perfectly.
- It’s nice to see Almora back in action on the farm. I just fear he may be one more play away from another injury. I hope he holds up over time. Then again, I remember hoping Bobby Brownlie would avoid injury as well.
- If it were up to me, I would pick Appel if he is available. Again, that is just me. He is Major-League ready.
- If the Cubs get an above-average prospect for Feldman, then McThoyer is owed an apology. They take the brunt, but that would be a coup.
- It will be interesting to see how the Brass plays their hand with Chin Salad. If he is just lights out over the next two months, they could probably get a king’s ransom for him. Or, they could go all in and sign him. It will be fun to watch this play out over the next two months.
- Brett Jackson is batting .254 with 35 strikeouts. We always must temper our expectations with prospects. A first-round draft pick is never the future, until the future arrives. And even if he arrives, Marcus Giles runs into him and then he is hit with a line drive in the elbow.
- And finally tonight, I am still wondering what would have happened if the Cubs held on to Sean Marshall. One World Series or two?
Happy Memorial Day to each and every one of you. I hope you spend it with loved ones and always remember, cherish and appreciate the sacrifices brave men and women made for us.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!