The Cubs announced a flurry of roster moves prior to Tuesday’s game against the Texas Rangers. The Cubs activated Darwin Barney from the 15-day DL and officially optioned Rafael Dolis to Triple-A Iowa.
The Cubs added Kameron Loe to the active roster. Loe was claimed off waivers from the Mariners on Sunday. The Cubs added Kevin Gregg to the bullpen mix. Gregg was signed to a minor league deal on Sunday. To make room for Kevin Gregg, the Cubs designated Hisanori Takahashi for assignment.
The Cubs also claimed Cody Ransom off waivers from the Padres and designated Brent Lillibridge for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.
Kameron Loe and Kevin Gregg are with the team and available out of the bullpen for Tuesday night’s game. Cody Ransom is not available, but could make it to the park prior to game time, if not the Cubs will play with a 24-man roster for the second game in a row.
Jed Hoyer said the Cubs like the defensive versatility that Cody Ransom provides and Lillibridge was lost in a numbers game. Ransom played in just five games for the Padres prior to San Diego designating him for assignment on April 12. Ransom was 0-for-11 on the season. The 37-year old has a career line of .215/.302/.387/.690 over 11 years in the big leagues.
Kevin Gregg told the media he signed with the Cubs because he feels there will be an opportunity for him to close games.
Here is a breakdown of Tuesday’s roster moves:
- Brent Lillibridge was designated for assignment
- Hisanori Takahashi was designated for assignment
- Kevin Gregg’s contract was purchased from Triple-A Iowa. Kevin Gregg was added to the 40-man and active 25-man roster
- Kameron Loe was added to the active 25-man roster
- Cody Ransom was claimed off waivers from the Padres, added to the 40-man and active 25-man roster
- Darwin Barney was activated from 15-day DL
- Rafael Dolis was optioned to Triple-A Iowa
The Cubs 40-man roster currently stands at 40 players.