As we open the page on 2013, I would like to echo Neil’s sentiments regarding all of the fabulous readers and posters on Chicago Cubs Online. I would also like to thank Neil for his unparalleled commitment to this great website and what it represents. If you only knew the amount of time he gives on a daily basis to this great love of his …
And a big thanks to Tom for his dedication to reporting on the Cubs Minor League System. He has debuted a new twitter handle, @TheCCO_Minors, and I encourage you to follow immediately. It is hard to believe this will be the eighth year for the CCO, and I am excited to have been a part of it since almost its inception.
Now, with that said, let’s get to a New Year’s version of rambling and hopefully create some conversation on this first Friday of 2013.
- I mean, I am pretty sure Napoli still isn’t officially a member of the Red Sox.
- I like how the Cubs brass split up and went to meet two different pitchers at the same time, knowing they would only sign one. Does Edwin Jackson care that he was second fiddle?
- He might have, but if it were me, I would be able to get over it quickly when I received the $8 million signing bonus.
- Trading for Justin Upton intrigues me, but I think it would take too much.
- I will say this for Theo and Jed. They have a clear and painstakingly detailed plan, which they won’t budge from. Upton is not part of it.
- At first, I was totally against the Edwin Jackson signing. It has grown on me in the past few weeks, if only from the perspective that you can bank on him for 200 innings.
- And, as some have speculated, his transient ways via trade could be attributed to his former agent.
- Nate Schierholtz has never had more than 335 at-bats in a single season. If you extrapolate out his stats from that year over a whole season, he would hit about 17 homers with close to 80 RBIs and a .280 average. I would take that.
- And yes, I know my previous bullet is a huge stretch.
- If you have time, and some extra coin, research the charity David and Kim DeJesus have started in honor of a friend with ALS. The Cubs also sent an email about this. I respect anyone who takes free time to raise money to help the sick.
- Speaking of David DeJesus, he had a .350 OBP last season. That is very acceptable for someone in his pay grade.
- Do you know what Starlin Castro’s middle name is?
- That’s right … DeJesus.
- See the fun things you can learn when you spend an evening on Baseball Reference’s website.
- I think this is a very crucial season for Darwin Barney. If he repeats his performance of 2012, he will be the Cubs second bagger for multiple years. If he regresses, we shall see.
- First and Short seem to be finalized for a decade while Second and Third are so much more undetermined. It will be interesting to see what happens and how it is all handled.
- When will we start discussing Mark Appel? Or whoever will supposedly be the hot choice at second overall in the draft.
- 37 days until pitchers and catchers report!!
- And, in my selfish moment … GO IRISH!!
That is all for this Friday. Let’s just have super radical chat about all of this below. And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!